The Sewing Place

Hello from Devon

Eaw

Hello from Devon
« on: December 29, 2021, 11:05:17 AM »
Hi I’m very happy to have accidentally found this forum whilst trawling for information on buttonholers. I have been sewing on and off since I was 11 and I’ve had my sewing machine, Bernina 830 Record, since my 18th birthday in 1975.
I’m hoping to up my game by making made to measure shirts for my 2 sons and am looking forward to having tips and advice from this forum.
I also weave on a rigid heddle loom and have done a lot of other handicrafts such as cross-stitch, crochet and knitting but have had to give those up due to arthritis in my thumb.

Elnnina

Re: Hello from Devon
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 11:39:34 AM »
Welcome to TSP Eaw, enjoy your time with us - we are a very friendly forum and always willing and able to help others.

I see you have a Bernina 830 Record - lovely machine - in fact I gather this is the machine that Bernina got totally right back in its day and is a total workhorse and so reliable.  I have inherited my mother's Bernina 830 and use this as my day to day machine - perfect stitching and a joy to use.  (I do have other machines)  I particularly like the corded buttonholes - and the instructions for these in your instruction booklet are so easy to follow and give such a neat buttonhole.  In fact I have used this method of doing buttonholes ever since I first tried it out on the 830, and I use perle embroidery thread No5 which I find is a great thickness and this is the one that comes in a skein.  I also close the stitch length up and find this totally covers the white cord, so I do not have to go buying matching perle thread to match each garment - if you have never tried this, do give it a go and I think you will be surprised at how easy it is to sew and also what a lovely buttonhole it gives.

Enjoy your time with us and we look forward to hearing and seeing what you are making.

Kenora

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 11:43:12 AM »
A warm welcome from me too - a bit further West than you in Cornwall. :) I have Bernina's too (modern ones) but I love them.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 11:48:54 AM »
Hello and welcome from me too  0_0

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 11:51:29 AM »
Hello and welcome!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 11:54:29 AM »
Welcome to TSP. I’m sure you’ll find lots of help and info here. 
Look forward to seeing the shirts when you make them. 

Helen M

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 12:22:08 PM »
Hello @Eaw hope you'll enjoy TSP!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Silver Rose

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 12:26:23 PM »
Hello @Eaw and welcome to TSP
Still learning

maliw

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 13:34:21 PM »
Hellooooooo.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 13:38:34 PM »
Hello and welcome @Eaw
Ooh, a rigid heddle weaver ( take note @Celia ).  Learning to weave was my lockdown project.  I've now got a 10"  Ashford and a 20" Schacht but haven't had much opportunity to do a lot with them.   It will be good tio see what you do.
Life's too short for ironing.

fajita

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 14:34:57 PM »
Welcome @Eaw  :toast:

charley

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2021, 19:10:57 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too.

Lilian

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2021, 19:22:03 PM »