The Sewing Place

Best way to store fabric by the metre?

JohnSnug

Best way to store fabric by the metre?
« on: December 30, 2021, 12:48:42 PM »
I feel like I'm flooding this forum with my upholstery/soft furnishing related questions :laugh:

So I've finally got hold of/gifted some fabric by the metre to play with. It's 140cm wide in a 5metre roll at the moment and I'm wondering how you guys store your fabric like this (especially as you get more)? I'm guessing it's sold in a roll to stop any creases and for ease as it comes off a bigger roll, but I really don't have space for something that long ideally!

Is there a better way that I can store it, even if it was just halved to 70cm it would be a lot easier, but I don't want to make life harder for myself if folding and putting creases into the fabric will make more work for me in the future.

So my question... if I unroll it and fold it into a smaller size, do I need to watch out for creases or anything that will make more work in future? Are there any good techniques/ideas I should know about to make storing fabrics easier? Maybe a way I can stack them rather than store it in a roll?

I assume when you buy fabric online it doesn't get shipped in a long roll like this, so there must be a way to fold it nicely?

Thanks as always for your help and advice :)

Greybird

Re: Best way to store fabric by the metre?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 13:15:52 PM »
I would just fold it. Make sure you have the fold down the centre of the fabric - selvedges together - but I wouldn't worry about putting creases in it, if it's creased you should press it before using anyway.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 13:18:31 PM »
I've just folded a 15m length of fabric that has been on a roll for more than 8 years.  It was very creased on the roll, although it isn't upholstery weight - I'd say it was light-ish curtain weight - so it certainly won't be any worse off folded.  It was hard work folding it though - but then I had my booster jab last night, so it probably wasn't the best time to do it!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 13:26:04 PM »
It depends on the fabric!  Most fabrics are fine being folded,just iron it when you come to use it, but if it's something delicate/crushable such as velvet then it's been supplied as a roll for a reason.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewbusy

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 13:31:15 PM »
I've stored a fair few rolls of fabric over the years, differing weights, qualities and properties. they've all been kept firmly secured in long polysacks, secured around/taped to maintain them without slippage. They've survived very well.

For me it really depends on the type of fabric, some never lose the fold line/creases, even after steaming and pressing.

A 5 metre roll? Hide it behind a door!.

JohnSnug

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 15:49:59 PM »
Thanks all. I ended up folding it up and it takes up hardly any space now compared to the big roll previously. I've got room for a load more now  :laugh: