The Sewing Place

Brother Super Galaxie 2100

Mr Wolf

Brother Super Galaxie 2100
« on: December 31, 2021, 06:37:47 AM »
OK our lass has the above named sewing machine and I'd like to know a bit more about it. I had no idea that sewing machines had become so advanced!

Embroidery via touchscreen! Very impressed. OK so first off we don't have a manual for it and I haven't found one on the net so if anyone can help....

Secondly I understand you can get some kind of library of embroidery patterns? How does this work and how would I get them into the machine as it doesn't appear to have a USB port.

Estimated to be somewhere around 20 years old.

BrendaP

Re: Brother Super Galaxie 2100
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 07:31:32 AM »
From what I can tell from this short video clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rvL2HO8j-4
that machine is not a full embroidery machine, just one with fancy stitches which are selected from a touch screen.  However the 'error message' suggests that there is a separate embroidery unit which can be attached and presumably that attachment has the facility to access a library of designs.

I don't have an embroidery machine myself, but I daresay others who do will be able to offer more advice.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kad

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 08:24:24 AM »
This machine has been discontinued for several years and as you've discovered, it doesn't have a USB facility but used Brother embroidery cards which were available to buy and held several designs on each. There are a few on e**y at present, one of which has a good set of photos showing the separate embroidery attachment and a description that details the machines abilities, including its 7"*5" max hoop size.
E**y may also be a useful source of Brother embroidery design cards. Sorry that I can't be more helpful.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 09:32:52 AM »
If its an embroidery machine it needs an embroidery arm

Found this YT vid but you've probably done all the googling already ....

If it hasnt got an E arm it aint going to embroider anything, Im afraid  ... I understand that your girl (?) inherited/was gifted the machine so a dig around in some accompanying boxes might yield the accessories it needs ???
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 09:34:52 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 12:12:24 PM »
@MrWolf I had one of these machines some years ago.  My mum now has it and uses it occasionally.  They were very good machines but very old now. 
Have you got the embroidery unit and hoops for the machine?   If so you will be able to do embroidery.  There are some designs built into the machine.  If you want extra designs then the easiest way will be to use the Brother embroidery cards.  These contain a number of designs, often on a particular theme,  and the card slots straight into the machine at the side.  USB ports weren’t available on machines at that time.  (They have made things much easier as designs can now be downloaded and input via USB ). 
There are a vast array of designs available online but without a USB stick you need some way of getting the designs to the machine.  This will involve some sort of software and a blank card which fits in the machine.  There are many softwares and boxes available but not sure if anything would be compatible nowadays.  So I’d steer clear of that idea.  I’m a bit out of the loop as regards that nowadays.  All software from machine companies use USB or direct connection via a lead as far as I’m  aware.  Brother software used to have a card reader and blank card but this is very old software I’m talking about. 

Anything else I might be able to help with just ask. 

Mr Wolf

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 15:08:38 PM »
Yes she has the embroidery parts, showed me how to use them. Just that its a bit limited without any extra cards.

Mr Wolf

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 17:05:20 PM »
Hmmm I'm fairly good with computers and technology. I think the way forward is to actually get one of these cards and see what type it is, and then see if I can communicate with it.

Does anyone have a photo of one? Cheers

Kad

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 17:39:28 PM »
I've never had a Brother embroidery machine but years ago I had a Janome 9000ce which was about the same vintage - it used Janome design cards or a generic card together with an 'ATA'? Card adapter. I could load designs onto the generic card from the laptop and then using the adaptor, load them onto the sewing machine. Be aware though that the older machines can only cope with relatively low stitch count designs unlike more recent ones.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 18:35:52 PM »
this shows you what the card reader looks like and     Brother have discontinued the card reader and blank card but you can still pick up preloaded cards on eBay, just check they are the real thing and not copies. Even if you manged to get a blank card you would need the reader to plug into your PC in order to download designs.
If you are tempted to get the design softwear in the link be aware it is not compatible with Windows 11.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 18:43:26 PM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 11:25:29 AM »
Oh I have one of those ... I dont really use it anymore now I have Elvistoo (V3) ... I use USB sticks and onboard software.

Do I still need the PEDesign stuff @Bodgeitandscarper @Acorn @anybodyelsewithknowledge
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 11:39:01 AM »
Oh I have one of those ... I dont really use it anymore now I have Elvistoo (V3) ... I use USB sticks and onboard software.

Do I still need the PEDesign stuff @Bodgeitandscarper @Acorn @anybodyelsewithknowledge

That depends what you want to do.  It’s much easier to edit and customise designs on the 'puter than using built in software on the machine. 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 11:45:01 AM »
@Iminei The PEDesign is software for editing/making? designs, the card and card reader are ways of transferring any design to the embroidery machine.

So I'd keep the PEDesign, but you don't need the card and reader for your V3.