The Sewing Place

A veritable minefield

Bumblebuncher

A veritable minefield
« on: December 31, 2021, 10:28:51 AM »
So after popping out and buying some needles and wool and knitting the unicorn, then knitting a couple of Dickensian mice, I had a visit from the grandsons.
So, of course, next on the list comes a dinosaur and a Godzilla (did you guess?)
Sat with eldest GS and looked at patterns (in my naivety), picked a couple out and said, 'yes dear, of course I will knit those for you'.
Then last night looked at the patterns.
In the round  :scream:
'Double ended needles' was my pronouncement (pretending to know what the hell I was talking about) to OH, then began to google.  Looked on here.  Googled again.  Read more on here.
Circular needles and sets of needles and... and... and... the price  :o
Did this again  :scream:
One of the patterns said 'stuff as you knit'!
Do these people not have cats???
So i just ordered some double ended needles that did not cost an arm and a leg and now sit here warily awaiting their arrival.
What have I let myself in for?
I think I will knit a scarf next  :laughing:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Pearl

Re: A veritable minefield
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 10:31:23 AM »
Good luck, @Bumblebuncher rather you than me.

Missie

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 10:32:15 AM »
Well that's what doting grandmothers are for  :P

I hate circular needles.  I find the stitches always tighten up once they drop of the needle part and onto the wire; I much prefer double-pointed needles and they (and the knitting) are easier to manage once the tube of knitting gets smaller.

LeilaMay

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 10:37:49 AM »
You are a lovely grandmother!
I use DPN mostly, although I use circular for some larger projects. I don't have the tension problem, but I did find all the extra needles fiddly to accommodate when I started. You have to get your fingers working so they don't all get tangled together :)

The worst part is the first few rows, so don't despair at the beginning - maybe do some practicing if you are new to them (I don't know if you are, sorry), just casting on and staring rounds with a few rows, like half a dozen or something, several times to get comfortable with it. I always cast on one extra stitch, and knit together the first and last cast ons as my first stitch in the round, so that the join is neater and more secure (when socking)
Good luck, and you can do it!
Leila

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 11:24:05 AM »
I admit to liking a challenge and being too stubborn to give up on something once I have started  :laughing:
I am sure to either end up here looking for advice or looking for lots of pats on the back at some point (not double pointed).
Thank you for your advice @LeilaMay , I haven't done it before, I just keep telling myself it can't be thatdifficult can it? (Don't tell me it can, no negativity please  :laughing: )
At least there is no time limit on completion
BB

As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 11:56:41 AM »
Take it one step at a time - dpns look far worse than they really are.

Oh, and be warned...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

:laughing:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 12:07:50 PM »
@Acorn That actually really looks like DD1's dog (who does love his pirate jumper) so  maybe not as silly as you think  :laughing:
BB

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 12:24:30 PM »
@Bumblebuncher  just reading about them on here put me off knitting entirely  :laughing:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 12:28:44 PM »
After struggling for some time knitting in the round, I really do enjoy it.  I think it was the needle situation which put me off.  After spending a small fortune on circulars, I realised that dpns do exactly the same job - with fewer complications.

Having said that, I'm going into the New Year determined to find a set which suits me.  I have high hopes for Chiaogoo circulars - I just have to work out their system... :rolleyes: :thinking: :facepalm:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

realale

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 12:38:57 PM »
I've just got back into knitting socks and much prefer dpns to circular after using both. It's just what you get used to and, like everything else, down to personal preference. I'm sticking with socks and not attempting to venture into unicorn or dinosaur territory  0_0
I did once knit a Postman Pat - finished it at 2.00am Christmas morning and he forever had a long, floppy neck. That was in the tail end of the 80s and I think was the last time I knit anything like that.  :laughing:
So many beers, so little time.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 12:40:38 PM »
@Lowena I read out your response on a different thread to OH last night as I found it hysterically accurate of my situation at the  moment. 
But I promised the Grandson  :cry:
@b15erk  I nearly just went off and bought some wooden skewers as they seemed an appropriate size and shape but OH told me to man up and get the proper things  :o
BB

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2021, 13:38:11 PM »
Can't wait to see the result @Bumblebuncher   :thumb:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sheilago

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2021, 19:11:09 PM »
I agree with all the comments re double pointed v circular.. it’s really not that difficult to use double pointed and you’re often just knitting plain all the way.
For stuffing I just buy the cheapest cushion pads I can find and use the stuffing inside, it’s usually much cheaper than actually buying craft stuffing.
Good luck @Bumblebuncher !

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2022, 12:39:15 PM »
The needles arrived yesterday afternoon after a very long delay due to that C*******s thing.
So far I have started three times  :laughing:
It was the pattern reading i was mainly doing wrong not the actual knitting in the round, first time too many stitches, second time dropped a few and couldn't pick them up again, third time I missed it was K1 Kfb and just increased  :facepalm:
Then gave up for the night, I decided to give it another go tomorrow!
BB

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2022, 17:53:20 PM »
@Bumblebuncher all this thinking and learning something new is really good for your brain you know.
I am in awe of the knitters. I've tried to learn a few time (3 at least) and its never really caught on :P