The Sewing Place

A veritable minefield

BrendaP

Re: A veritable minefield
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2022, 21:03:22 PM »
@Bumblebuncher the first couple of rows/rounds in any knitting pattern are always the most fiddly - partly because there's not much to hold on to and partly because the pattern/stitch sequence isn't yet in your brain.

The circulars versus DPN thing will always be there and there isn't a best option - it's what suits you, your hands and your knitting style.

Personally I like 4 DPNs for socks (three in a triangle and one to knit with).  I find that 5 DPNs allow the work to flop about and thus more likely that one of the needles will fall out.  I don't mind a 16" circular for hats etc but when it gets to the decreases it's back to the DPNs, I can't be doing with pulling loops through or using two circulars so that there are ends dangling.  If I'm knitting flat the shorter the needles the better 10" or 12" if I can cram all the stitches on.  If/when I ever get around to making the cardi with about 400 stitches I'll use a long circular to knit back and forth.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.