The Sewing Place

Threads magazine does anyone still buy or subscribe?

Helen M

Threads magazine does anyone still buy or subscribe?
« on: December 31, 2021, 13:01:16 PM »
Does anyone still subscribe or buy Threads? I once had an 'insider' membership and a subscription which was a gift so still get some emails from them which I usually delete straightaway. One caught my eye recently though but the article seems to be in the magazine rather than an 'Insider' one.

I was wondering if anyone had read the 'Winter' edition, which is I think the current one, as there is an article about making a 'Crotch Template' by Joi Mahon. The email I have takes allows me to read part of it but not all and I wondered if anyone had read it and thought it would be of use. It sounds like it could be a good idea as you could see straight off if the pattern pieces needed an alteration.

I'm also wondering if you can order just a single copy in the UK as I've not seen it even in larger WH Smith for years now. The email offers a 14 day free trial but I'm wary of signing up as they seem to take payment very early so would it actually be free?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 15:39:40 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

realale

Re: Threads magazine does anyone still buy or subscribe?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 13:23:54 PM »
I haven't had a subscription for a few years now. Our local Mace carries a copy and every now and then I will flick through it but nothing has inspired me to buy it. However, a few months back there was something that caught my eye and I was going to buy it until I saw it was about £8  :scream:  I didn't want it £8 worth.
So many beers, so little time.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 13:27:29 PM »
 :meow:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 18:30:59 PM by Bumblebuncher »
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 14:25:02 PM »
Crotch template.  It is a template the same length and shape as your crotch. 
Lots of info out there about making these. 

WendyW

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 16:45:26 PM »
I still subscribe. I will search out the current issue. I don't know where it is as I just "cleaned up" for the Holiday, and that involves dumping all the piles that occupy flat surfaces into random containers and shoving them out of sight.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 09:43:20 AM »
I don't know where it is as I just "cleaned up" for the Holiday, and that involves dumping all the piles that occupy flat surfaces into random containers and shoving them out of sight.

@WendyW one of my few goals for this year is to systematically empty those containers and reclaim the contents. Don't ask how many of those are lurking here and there. Or how long some of that stuff has lived in bags.  :rolleyes:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Esme866

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 12:25:23 PM »
Threads is one of the few magazines I still enjoy from time to time. I've never had a subscription, but they run some rather advanced articles in virtually every issue so they are typically worthwhile. But I've got 2 ......oh, only one place to pick up copies. I just realized the bookstore where I usually bought Threads, bit the dust a few months ago, due to Covid.

I might need to look at a subscription..... :scream:

WendyW

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 15:34:26 PM »
@Helen M  It IS the current issue- Winter 2021, Number 216. This article will be very useful for me! It has you start by making a muslin template of just the crotch from a pants pattern, then fit that template to your body, making the necessary adjustments with tucks and snips. It then shows how to use the template to alter the actual pattern. Nice explanation with lots of clear pictures.

Helen M

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 16:11:33 PM »
Thanks @WendyW I've just ordered a single copy of that issue!

Vezelay

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 18:20:53 PM »
Thanks for the heads up @Helen M - I have a gift Insider sub but hadn't got round to reading it yet. That crotch template could be very useful. I have one made with the aid of a sewing instructor a few years ago, but was never sure how to use that crotch in a different pattern, and there's always room for improvement.

Rosieh

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 11:12:41 AM »
Looks like you have got yourself a single issue, but if you ever need one in future newsstand.co.uk usually have them and post out pretty quickly. I love Threads and so wish the suppliers that advertise were here in the UK!

Helen M

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 11:37:02 AM »
Yes I have @Rosieh, and it arrived at the end of last week. I wasn't sure if it would have to come from America but the obviously have stocks here. Seems a shame that they don't distribute them to larger news agents.

Kwaaked

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2022, 03:05:57 AM »
Little late, but I usually only buy the ASDP issues due to being a member.  Usually helps if I enter the contest.

So Chic

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2022, 13:26:19 PM »
I gave up some time ago when they tried to charge me twice for my subscription and haven't really missed it.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Helen M

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2022, 16:28:57 PM »
Was surprised to see the latest Spring edition of Threads in WHSmith in Newcastle last week when we were up there. I glanced at cover but decided not to buy. They also had Fibre Mood, again a surprise. The largest WHS branch closer to me at the Trafford Centre never has copies of either of them these days.