The Sewing Place

Embroidery thread

Lyn-J

Re: Embroidery thread
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 02:06:22 AM »
Bernina recommend Moon thread for their overlockers.

Jo

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 07:12:11 AM »
I've seen it marketed as a sew-all thread in most places, so surely it's not only for the overlocker. I have a few cones of Gutermann Mara thread (from before buying Coats). They are...well, exactly the same to my eye. Neither of them leaves too much lint in my machine and the both look the same regarding the fluffyness factor.
Whatever works, I guess :)
There is no way I'm paying 9.5 gbp for 1000m of Gutermann, so Coats will have to do for me.
In regards to overlocker thread, mine is a lot thinner as well. But I only use it in the loopers as it's not strong enough to use in the needles.
As a small side note: what else should I order for embroidery? Some stabilizer? What kind?

Lyn-J

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 07:49:38 AM »
I'm not an expert on stabilizer, but you'll want at least 3 kinds, tear-away, soluble and iron on (essential for jersey). Hoping those with more knowledge will chime in  0_0

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 18:32:14 PM »
I agree that Moon is fluffy and not good for regular machine use, but I'm not sure that it's designed for overlocking.  Most overlocker threads - the stuff on big cones - is quite a lot thinner than Moon; it's purpose being to neater the edges of seam allowances without adding bulk.

Brenda you're quite right.  Should have said it is better used in overlockers Rather than sewing machines.  I've seen lots of machines using this and they have to be cleaned out.   The fluff gets right in the works. 
I don't like using the large cones as they are not easy to come by and I don't want a massive amount of one colour.  I do have some wonderful Gutermann thread which is designed for overlockers.  It makes wonderful flat seams.  But it was pricey.    Not sure if it is still made.

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 22:05:42 PM »
Bernina recommend Moon thread for their overlockers.

Are you sure?

There are some retailers which sell Bernina machines and also sell Moon thread, but that doesn't mean that Bernina recommends Moon.

In my Bernina 1150 manual it says:
BERNINA recommends the use of high quality thread such as Mettler Metrosene®, Poly Sheen®, and Isacord.

All of those are made by the Amann-Mettler group.  Moon is made by Coats - or so some of the labels say, but I cannot find anything about Moon on the Coats website.

The Bernina Sewing Shop sells Tysew for overlocking.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 22:08:23 PM »
Should have said it is better used in overlockers Rather than sewing machines.

When I bought my overlocker she said you can use 'any old rubbish' in the loopers, but use a good thread in the needles!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

BrendaP

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 22:12:48 PM »
f   I do have some wonderful Gutermann thread which is designed for overlockers.  It makes wonderful flat seams.  But it was pricey.    Not sure if it is still made.

Probably Tera 180 which is quite a bit thinner than the regular 120 size, which is what most of the cones of overlocker thread are.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 21:25:03 PM »
That's the one BrendaP.  So fine it doesn't take much to catch it and get it hooked up everywhere.   :o. But nice to use.

Lyn-J

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 07:59:14 AM »
Are you sure?

There are some retailers which sell Bernina machines and also sell Moon thread, but that doesn't mean that Bernina recommends Moon.

Missed this question, so catching up now.

When went to London for the free tutorial that came with my overlocker Bernina recommended Moon. That's what they used there. They suggested buying it as it came in so many colours.

BrendaP

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 09:13:22 AM »
Official Bernina recomendation or just the opinion of the tutor?

Lachica

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 09:30:32 AM »
Lyn, when I got my embroidery machine I bought a sample pack of stabilisers to play with. I then bought tearaway by the metre from someone on EBay. I thought it was ok until I bought a roll of Janome iron-on, tearaway. It was a few pence more but much, much better in use. Sometimes you gets what you pays for! If you cost out the thread, the fabric, time, frustration etc a few pence more on the stabiliser is well worth spending. You don't HAVE to iron it on, and I economise a bit by sewing together the large pieces which I've torn away to reuse. I wouldn't do a big, dense design using recycled stabiliser but it's fine for outlines and the light, sketchy designs I like to use.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lyn-J

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 11:10:29 AM »
Official Bernina recomendation or just the opinion of the tutor?
hmmmmm  0_0
That's what they were using, so it must have gone higher than the tutor.