The Sewing Place

Sewalongs and Contests 2022

SewRuthieSews

« on: January 01, 2022, 15:24:51 PM »

January -  Small but Useful - make a smaller item, for example a purse, makeup bag, kitchen apron, oven gloves, tool roll etc

February -  Scrapbusting – using bits left over from something else

March -    "Here comes summer!"  Cheer up summer is coming, make a dress, shorts, top etc for the coming warmer weather

April – Undies and sleepwear - Pants, bras, slips, corsets, PJs, night gowns etc

May – You Old Queen! – make something to commemorate EIIR's platinum jubilee. This can have a Royal theme, or be more generally inspired by what you consider to be ‘British’ (we are a UK based site after all)

June – One pattern, two looks - how different can you make two garments from the same pattern look?
(may get extended further if required)

July-  First things First – Your very first attempt at making something you've never made before or using a new to you technique.

August – How Duvet Do It? – what delightful items can you turn a duvet cover or other existing textiles (curtains, tablecloth, old clothing) into?

September & October - Autumn 3 piece clothing collection (may get extended further if required)

November & December - Creating for the festive season (gifts,home dec etc)

A big thanks to everyone for their suggestions, and for @Flobear with helping decide which ones to pick.
Hopefully there is something for everyone and we can have some sewing fun this year.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 15:33:38 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Lachica

Re: Sewalongs and Contests 2022
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 15:29:10 PM »
Looks good! There are a few I could enter. Thanks for your work in setting this up @SewRuthieSews
And @Flobear
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 16:39:06 PM by Lachica »
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Diane

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 19:04:30 PM »
Thanks @SewRuthieSews & @Flobear for organizing this for the year  :perfect10:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 19:41:51 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 19:17:35 PM »
Thank you @SewRuthieSews and @Flobear for organising these. Even if I don't meet the deadline (ahem, says she, who has not finished her 3rd garment for the autumn sew along) it's really nice to have a bit of focus and something to 'hang' one's ideas on.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

realale

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 19:45:07 PM »
That looks a nice range of ideas.  :thumb:
There are several I may have a go at - depending what the year throws at me!!
Thank you for organising them.
So many beers, so little time.

Flobear

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 21:01:36 PM »
Hoping that Darksiders will find several to join in with. I reckon at least 5 are possibles from that lot.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

fajita

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 23:06:11 PM »
I might look out an oven glove to use for summer barbecues.

I say ‘might’ because I am mid-stegosaurus making for my quilt. But six stegosauruses? Have a lot of fiddly spines on their backs - 42 total - and I could be looking at oven gloves for respite

Diane

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 16:33:53 PM »
For the April sew along i'm going to have a go at making some summer pyjamas, i don't really do clothes sewing so this will be a challenge

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 17:47:19 PM »
Not too difficult style @Diane

Diane

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 18:12:40 PM »
I'm glad you said that @Ohsewsimple I don't make clothes so this will be a first

dyedinthewool

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 15:20:55 PM »
I like this year's challenges and hopefully I'll be able to actually participate this year. Last year was a tad chaotic, although this summer I'm having an operation so maybe this year will be too!

fajita

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 18:51:16 PM »
I’ve bought some insulbrite, that was delivered today. Now to choose some fabric. I only have quilting cotton, think I need something more robust. Will have to shop again.

William

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2022, 14:05:33 PM »
Wow - really a great choice of contests!

Thank You for organising this!!  :thumb:

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Celia

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2022, 10:01:26 AM »
Oow.   I have just read Februarys contest

Scrap busting now that’s something I need to look into  :thinking: :thinking: :love:  can we scrap bust in knitting too with odd left over wool, I was just about to give some away but maybe not.