The Sewing Place

Janome or Babylock? Hmmm

Vezelay

Janome or Babylock? Hmmm
« on: January 01, 2022, 17:46:50 PM »
After seeing @datcat23's new Janome AirThread 2000 I suddenly realised  :) I need a new overlocker to replace my old Brother 1034D. The Janome looked perfect until I saw someone in another forum got a Babylock Victory for Christmas. Just wondering does anyone have any comparative thoughts about these two machines?

It looks as if they're both in stock from lovely John in Waterford and I'll be talking to him before I buy. The Babylock is €300 more but since I've spent so little since the pandemic started I'm fine with that. There's nothing actually wrong with my Brother - it's a basic machine that's never let me down, and was recently serviced and it can go in part exchange.

I use my overlocker more than my sewing machine, in every garment and most bags. Mostly just 3 or 4 threads. But I like to colour coordinate with my fabric and changing threads can be a pain. I'm trying to justify the purchase now, you realise?

Any thoughts or experience of either machine please?

Lachica

Re: Janome or Babylock? Hmmm
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 18:32:33 PM »
I replaced my 1034D a couple of years ago - nothing wrong with it but I was using it a lot & finding threading increasingly difficult due to my eyes. I stayed with Brother, I've got the 4234D. Threading loopers is much easier & it has needle threading
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 20:24:27 PM »
@Lachica Well that would save me a few hundred quid anyway - don't tell DH, he gasped when i mentioned the price of the Janome :). I don't blame you staying with Brother - my machine has been so reliable through time that I almost feel guilty replacing it. But the only shop within relatively easy reach of here sells almost everything but Brother and I really want to buy from him. He's been amazingly kind and helpful over the years. Also I have my heart set on an Air threader - so I clearly want to spend some money  :dance:

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 20:42:58 PM »
If you can afford it I'd go for the Babylock then. I had a Janome coverstitch (2000) then bought a s/h Babylock from a friend. There was a huge difference in build quality, it was much quieter, but the harp space was very much smaller than the Janome. I swallowed hard & bought the Euphoria which was A LOT  of £ but I won't part with it now. Air threading makes such a huge difference as we get older & our eyes start struggling. Although I'm talking about coverstitch machines I imagine the same would hold true for overlockers.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 20:55:40 PM »
I bought a Babylock Imagine about 3 years ago and wouldn’t be without it. I think the Victory replaced it.

The stitch quality and the auto tension are excellent. It’s stitched everything I’ve thrown at it.

Air threading is a dream and the needle threader works every time.

You don’t need to follow a specific threading order, I’ve had no tension problems, it just gets on with the job really, really well.

:perfect10:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 21:27:23 PM »
Babylock over Janome every time!   Just quality.

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 22:22:16 PM »
Hmmmm a Babylock sounds tempting. I have a 20 year old Janome and it's fine - I use it all the time -  but all the features of the Babylock are much better. Threading on the Janome can be a pain and you definitely have to thread in the right order.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Celia

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 22:45:29 PM »
My vote goes to Babylock every time, the build quality, reliability and ease of use win hands down.

fajita

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 22:57:22 PM »
I have a Janome  air thread. It’s lovely.  I don’t use it for a lot of fancy things, because I don’t make a lot of fancy things, but it works easily, threads easily,
and I recommend it.

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 23:34:43 PM »
Check the threading on  this one

fajita

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 00:00:59 AM »
Your link doesn’t work for me, @Greybird

Vezelay

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2022, 08:34:37 AM »
@Greybird - it doesn't open for me either - intrigued though :).

Vezelay

Re: Janome or Babylock or....? Hmmm
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2022, 08:49:25 AM »
Thanks for all your replies. Just to widen the choice, but also stick to what's realistic: these are my options. Apparently in stock but no guarantee - I won't know for sure 'til Tuesday. The most expensive one (Enlighten) is out anyway.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 08:52:41 AM by Vezelay »

Greybird

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2022, 10:08:23 AM »
Oops - sorry, try again:

https://www.gursewingmachines.com/jaguar-supa-lock-488-3-and-4-thread-overlocker-plus-feet-set-40799?gclid=Cj0KCQiAt8WOBhDbARIsANQLp95We4uwe66h1ofshM9aWLrDcoj4ARi82FsGSFTUoo1rhT4lFbszFKwaAjUgEALw_wcB

Its the Jaguar 488 which I have had for a few months now. The left front swings right out of the way leaving the threading path for the lower looper completely exposed so that you can see what you're doing. I am very happy with it in all other respects too.

Gernella

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2022, 10:30:53 AM »
My overlocker is actually a Bernina the 1150mda which has been a joy to work with and although it is very easy to use, cheat when rethreading, a decent needle threader, I suspect that with cash to flash I would go for a Babylock.  Anything that literally does everything with no fuss is the way to go @Vezelay  You want to sew not faff around and waste time.

Incidentally I do like that wider table on the Bernina.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included