The Sewing Place

Overlocker needles

So Chic

Re: Overlocker needles
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2023, 10:03:28 AM »
I’m feeling a bit smug as I change needles regularly on both the sewing machine and overlocker.  I buy Universal needles by the box as they are much cheaper.  When we first moved to our bungalow in 1983 our elderly NDN asked my OH to sharpen her one needle which she had had since 1938.  She was horrified that I threw needles away after a couple of uses and didn’t want to take a packet I offered her, she said one would be enough.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Gernella

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2023, 10:16:23 AM »
I've got a nice yellow Sharps Bin that I got off Amazon.  I have put many sewing machine needles in but it's not even a quarter full yet and it's only about 7 inches in height.  I think I have changed the Coverstitch needles, although not  for a  fair while.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2023, 10:27:30 AM »
I have a very old needle 'case' made by the owner of one of the vintage machines I used to have.  It is hand made and contains an assortment of different machine needles.  One of each!
This obvious belonged to a dedicated sewist who changed her needles as necessary for the fabric she was using.  Yet there is only one type of each.  Whenever I come across it I have to wonder if she just changed the needles around but never got a new one?  Were they really expensive back in the day?  I don't remember the Mother changing needles unless they broke but that could just be I didn't see her doing it.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2023, 10:57:48 AM »
Janome says to change the overlocker needles monthly.  :ninja:

I'll show myself out.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2023, 11:40:43 AM »
Janome says to change the overlocker needles monthly.  :ninja:

I'll show myself out.
My Janome overlocker is an independent soul and told me she would let me know when the needles need changing  :laughing:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Lachica

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2023, 13:38:07 PM »
Mine were changed last time I ran over a pin. Along with both blades 😖 I wonder whether needles were better quality steel back in the day? I don't remember my mum ever changing them & I certainly never changed the needle in my granny's old 128.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Surest1tch

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2023, 19:55:53 PM »
I do change my needles depending on the fabric I'm using, I must admit I rarely change the blades even when I know I really should  :embarrassed:.

Ellabella

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2023, 18:36:14 PM »
Feeling very guilty as I can’t remember the last time I changed my OL needles.
It might be tonight’s job.

Nevis5

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2023, 08:38:38 AM »
I'm another one feeling guilty!  Although I hope that when the repair chap fixed my overlocker at the end of lockdown he changed the needles for me then   ;)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2023, 09:12:37 AM »
I only change needles in any machine if they break - I do change needles on the sm for different types of fabric, but they are kept in one of those multi-type cases (one of each type thingy) and only replaced if they break.

I firmly believe it's a marketing ploy to make you buy lots more.  Imagine how many needles a factory would get through if they changed them after every one or two garments?

Ouryve

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2023, 09:31:26 AM »
Modern needles tend to be nickel coated and that doesn't maintain its integrity for as long as older polished steel needles.

I tend to go by the 8 hours sewing guideline for SM needles, which is a lot of sewing when you consider how much of making a garment is pinning and pressing, unless there is a noticeable decline in quality. That tends to be more often with stretch than woven.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"