The Sewing Place

Janome or Babylock? Hmmm

maliw

Re: Janome or Babylock? Hmmm
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2022, 10:59:26 AM »
I had a Brother 1034D for years and decided to upgrade as it bounced around quite a lot, DDiL still uses it. I bought a Babylock Imagine 2, it's great and doesn't throw a fit if I thread it in any order. Not sure how the Brother knew???? I'd buy another Babylock, wouldn't mind one of their sewing machines but not as available here for some reason.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Vezelay

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2022, 10:47:37 AM »
Babylock Victory it is! :dance: John at the shop was unequivocal (no car salesman patter, I know from  past dealings with him his enthusiasm was genuine) - I'm viewing and collecting it tomorrow, my Brother in part-ex. All your views helped me decide so thanks again, plus I did some online research - Threads has a useful review article. Can't wait :).

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2022, 12:38:56 PM »
Well done @Vezelay.  I’m sure you’re going to love it. 

Celia

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2022, 13:21:18 PM »
Definitely the right decision, can’t wait to see how you like it. 

Ellabella

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2022, 13:30:24 PM »
Your only regret will be not doing it sooner.

You will love it!

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2022, 16:44:06 PM »
I got mine in the spring - it's awesome.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

Helen M

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2022, 19:51:29 PM »
What a lovely start to the New Year for you @Vezelay!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

MissEmmy

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2023, 20:20:43 PM »
I'm reading through all of these posts as pre-purchase research, and really appreciate all of the insights.  My local shop has BabyLock and Janome, and definitely wants to sell the Babylocks.  Their very high end machine (which also is a coverstitch/OL combo) runs $5k...  :faints: cough choke!  I came here to read a bit... thinking I probably do not sew enough to EVER justify that expense.

I see many people here using much lower end machines and being perfectly happy with them, so that has helped bring down my panic!

It sounds like everyone is very happy with the air-threading feature, and it is pretty sexy.  But it is also clearly something the home sewist probably can't fix if something goes wrong (apart from flossing it).  I can repair almost anything on my  :vintage: vintage machines!

What to do, what to do... :facepalm:
MissEmmy from California

Ouryve

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2023, 20:40:15 PM »
Modern overlockers aren't that difficult to thread, really. It's like threading your regular machine 4 times over and takes just a few minutes. You're right, the air threader is a lot to go wrong and is most useful if you anticipate changing threads very frequently
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Acorn

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2023, 20:44:21 PM »
Mine is a Frister & Rossmann Jaguar 234DF Knitlock Overlocker, and it cost £294 about 4 years ago.  I am perfectly happy with it and it does everything I need from an overlocker.

I was dreading having to thread it, but it is really straightforward - colour-coded, with a decent diagram on the side of the machine. 

I generally knot the new threads on and stitch them through, but even if I have to thread it from scratch it really is easy.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2023, 21:09:55 PM »
@MissEmmy id never advise having a combo machine.  Separate overlocker and coverstitch machines can be cheaper and they’re more practical.  It’s not often you can do all your overlocking then all the coverstitching.  I go from one to the other and back again while constructing a garment. 

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2023, 21:21:06 PM »
I used to have a really cheap overlocker (as cheap as it gets) and that is where I got my threading phobia from but I replaced it because the cutter was pants even after fitting a new one and snagged on the fabric all the time.  I bought my Janome over 10 years ago and once you realise you need to thread in order (with mine it goes right to left) they are easy to do.  Mostly you don't have to thread it to change colour as you just tie on your new thread and stick your foot on the pedal until the new one runs through.  I do one at a time but rarely need to start over these days.
I was advised not to get the combination but have never really wanted a coverstitch so it wasn't an issue for me.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Greybird

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2023, 23:05:27 PM »
Mine is also a Jaguar overlocker - a 488. The whole front of the left hand side in front of the needles hinges open leaving the lower looper completely exposed for threading - it's brilliant!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2023, 03:06:08 AM »
@MissEmmy in the US the Brother 1034D is very popular and reliable. The new version, the 1034DX can be bought at Walmart for $199.97. Might run you up to $300 elsewhere. You don't need a dealer. If you were buying a $5000 machine maybe.

I have a Singer that was under $200 at Wallyworld. It does all the basics and has a very narrow narrow rolled hem which is what I was after. I had taken a class with Kayla Kennington and she uses that a lot.

Anyway, as the cashier told me, there's a 90 day return period. She suggested I take it home and sew the he** out of it then bring it back if I didn't like it. It's still here. If I was doing over I'd get the Brother I mentioned. Or if my pockets weren't full of holes the newer Bernina. Drool. I took a class using it. OMG that is a sweet machine.

As for air threading. My friend was the manager of the local Bernina dealer when I was serger shopping. She told me not to get air threading. She said they were constantly having machines in for repair because the air threading went out. Threading manually is easy and really only takes minutes.

Coverstitch is another story. You would want to be sure the machine is easy to change back and forth between the two and easy to reset.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Puzzler

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2023, 07:40:25 AM »
If money were no object I would be after this https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/juki-mo-2500-sumato-overlocker. A gal can dream.

I am not overly happy with my Bernina 800. There is a distinct knocking sound when using it. I had it serviced and it was fine. I have rethreaded, cleaned, oiled to no avail.