The Sewing Place

Any ideas?

BrendaP

Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2022, 23:37:49 PM »
How about crazy patchwork - which is really FPP done in a random sort of way with added embroidery over the seams.

As for what to make;  small things like a needle case or a book cover, through tote bag or cushion cover to a full size bed quilt.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2022, 10:19:21 AM »
I hesitate to suggest this - particularly as it was @Lowena who started this off - but what about making some patchwork specifically to make a garment from? A jacket or a coat or a gilet? Is that a practical option?

StitchinTime

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2022, 10:31:31 AM »
I can’t decide if Camilla’s Christmas coat is patchwork or colour blocking.

Pearl

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2022, 10:38:55 AM »
I hesitate to suggest this - particularly as it was @Lowena who started this off - but what about making some patchwork specifically to make a garment from? A jacket or a coat or a gilet? Is that a practical option?

I would love to make a patchwork jacket but I wouldn’t know where to start.  If there was someone who could guide us through, I’d be in.

realale

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2022, 11:15:05 AM »
I would love to make a patchwork jacket but I wouldn’t know where to start.  If there was someone who could guide us through, I’d be in.
I've made several patchwork jackets and waistcoats and I also have a Craftsy class by Mary Ray on sewing a quilted jacket. Having said that another jacket is not on my radar for this year!! Basically you can just use your patchwork as yardage or have a base fabric cut to the jacket pieces and fit your patchwork on to that.- picking an easy jacket pattern is also a good idea so there are no darts or fussy details. In seam pockets are also good as well as patch pockets. I can give pointers if anyone wants to go ahead with it.
So many beers, so little time.

Greybird

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2022, 11:22:42 AM »
Camilla's coat looks like patchwork to me. Somebody has done some very careful fitting I think. If that was mine I'd have to make sure I selected the right piece of underwear to go with it.

I can only speak from a dressmaking point of view, but I think you'd need to decide whether to design the garment with a "pattern repeat" - for example matching pieces of fabric on both sides of the front and across the back, or, to make a piece of patchwork from evenly balanced shades in a completely random way (I'm getting out of my depth here!) and just take it as it comes. I think maybe you'd have to match squares (or whatever) but not necessarily patterns.

Edit: What @realale said!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 11:28:41 AM by Greybird »

Lowena

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2022, 11:31:59 AM »
@Greybird @Pearl @realale  a great suggestion for those who can make clothes. I have never attempted a garment in my life and don't expect I ever will. I know I'd be useless. However, I asked for suggestions for all of us, not me specifically. I'd love to see any patchwork garments made by you expert garmenteers
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2022, 11:33:41 AM »
I have been going to make a sort of patchwork jacket for years and years think I still have the patterns I sorted might just have to have a look.   How about weaving the fabric first @Ploshkin  :devil:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 11:35:32 AM by Celia »

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2022, 11:41:30 AM »
I have long planned a patchwork jacket.  I have either the StyleArc Adelaide:

or Bootstrap 45839

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

lined up.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2022, 12:20:23 PM »
Agree with @Greybird Camilla's coat is an immaculate fit. Very clever. 

Greybird

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2022, 12:59:01 PM »
@Acorn either of those would be great but I think the Bootstrap one edges it - if only because the stylearc looks as though it has a two part sleeve which complicates things. I think the facing might need to be one piece of a toning fabric.

Acorn

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2022, 13:13:07 PM »
Ooh - well spotted @Greybird !  I was veering toward the Bootstrap one anyway, because it's a made to measure pattern.   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

realale

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2022, 13:26:29 PM »
@Acorn either of those would be great but I think the Bootstrap one edges it - if only because the stylearc looks as though it has a two part sleeve which complicates things. I think the facing might need to be one piece of a toning fabric.
I agree @Greybird. The less seams the better!
So many beers, so little time.

Bjay

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2022, 15:56:11 PM »
 :faints:
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

BrendaP

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2022, 23:09:20 PM »
I can’t decide if Camilla’s Christmas coat is patchwork or colour blocking.

I'd say colour blocking because the seams are cleverly placed to take the place of darts.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.