The Sewing Place

Any ideas?

BrendaP

Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2022, 23:40:12 PM »
I have made two patchwork jackets.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
This was the first one - I can't remember now which pattern I used but it has very minimal shaping and that's why I chose it.  The 6" x 6" denim squares (old jeans) were patched together to make pieces big enough for each pattern piece, then cut out and assembled in the standard way.

This is the second one, the pattern is Zambeesi which has all the separate pieces as part of the design  Sew together the pieces for each section and then make the jacket.  Main problem though is that the neckline is very low, it looks best worn with a high neck / turtle neck.  I used a variety of silks, some of them very vintage (from David Evans) and some of them from the sales table at craft club, so possibly similar vintage!

I have also made a quilt/cape which I often wear around the house when it's chilly.  It's random squarish pieces sewn over a base layer in a mix of FPP and appliqué, then I zig-zagged over all the seams.  It was make it up as I went along, but the shoulder seams, which extend right down are at the correct angle so laid out flat the fronts overlap.  It's more than just a single piece of base fabric.  I added top stitched "side seams"  to make the sides of the thing into "sleeves"
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2022, 09:31:58 AM »
I have to confess that I have that top picture of Brenda's saved to my inspiration folder.  My intention is to make something very similar with a combination of denim and velvet squares.  I also toy with the idea of stitching over the seams in the way you do with crazy patchwork.  Maybe...  :thinking:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

realale

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2022, 09:55:06 AM »
Not a jacket but the Jalie city coat. I've made several of these coats as they are so useful. This one was made using all old jeans.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
This coat is several years old now and is well worn!!
So many beers, so little time.

BrendaP

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2022, 10:02:20 AM »
@realale
Ooooh! that's brilliant.  Much more how denim patchwork should look.

BTW, Imi has just started a thread about fingerless mittens and included a link to a small company which uses old cashmere sweaters to make mitts and patchwork jumpers.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2022, 12:35:33 PM »
That’s fabulous @realale.  Lot of work in that.  And exactly what we should be doing with our leftover fabrics nowadays! 

@BrendaP i love your Zambeesi jacket.  Her stuff is quite inspirational I think. But I know I’d have had to alter that neckline first!   The cape is interesting.  Great colours.  I like the idea of shaped shoulder line to give it a better look. 

Iminei

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2022, 17:17:13 PM »

WHERE did you get the Frogs ???

How large are they?

I desperately need ONE pair of fairly large, very black cord frogs for my Red Riding jacket that was relined by the wonderful @Puzzler  last year (or maybe more)

All I can find are the tiddly ones ... what use they are I dont know!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

fajita

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2022, 22:37:12 PM »
@Iminei - I believe you can make your own frogs on the V3

Greybird

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2022, 22:54:51 PM »

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2022, 22:57:28 PM »
@Iminei I have frogs.  Shall I send you some?
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

BrendaP

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2022, 23:03:13 PM »
@Iminei

WHERE did you get the Frogs ???

I really can't remember!  It was several years ago and involved considerable help from Mr Google but they definitely came from  a UK supplier.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2022, 00:45:21 AM »
@Iminei if you can find suitable cording to your liking they are actually pretty easy to make..

Here's one place.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2022, 09:03:46 AM »
Oh Ill just run one or three of those up while I drink my coffee @Renegade Sewist  ... Lovely article/destructions but way way way beyond my skill sets ... This is the girl who can take 10 minutes to thread a needle remember1

The set I need is, I believe, very large by todays standards ... 6 1/2 - 7 inches in length when joined together ... I think thats more than 55mm ???

I might google making frogs on Elvistoo tho' hes brilliant at fiddly stuff!

sewmuchmore

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2022, 10:06:49 AM »
@Iminei I have a set you can have if they are ay good, here is a picture of the coat i used them on.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Iminei

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2022, 10:14:40 AM »
Oooohhh Those are Frogs On Acid!!!!

And they look large ... How big are they @sewmuchmore  ???

And, sorry to be pedantic, are they BLACK ... not grey?

Its for a jacket that is Christmas Red with Deep Black Fur trim

ALBUM

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2022, 11:29:39 AM »
 I’ve made frogs before.  They’re,  mmmm, interesting to do!   :)