The Sewing Place

Craving an embroidery machine

annieeg

Craving an embroidery machine
« on: January 02, 2022, 11:50:50 AM »
Looking at the cards @realale made (absolutely ADORE the can-can reindeer  :love:), its inspired me to want an embroidery machine (I can see @Iminei rolling her eyes ;)
Even though its taken me many years, I've built up a bit of confidence with quilting and so I think I'd like to try embroidery.
Anybody got any idea what machine would be a good starting point?  I'd definitely be looking 2nd hand as I'm pretty sure a new one would be out of my budget.
Happy New Year and TIA for any advice.
Annie

realale

Re: Craving an embroidery machine
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 12:00:32 PM »
Glad to have inspired you!!  :P
I've had my Janome 350e many years from new and have been quite content with it - although, I have been eyeing up newer models with bigger hoops  :laughing: I'd probably stick with a Janome as I have so many designs and also I have the digitizer but while the one I've got is still sewing well and not giving me any problems I can't really change it - can I???!!  :P (Of course I can but I'd feel disloyal getting rid of her after so many years good service  :laughing: )
So many beers, so little time.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 12:01:36 PM »
@annieeg I can vouch for Brother machines as being good and having a good needle threader. I can tell you that you will want the biggest hoop you can afford. You'll want a minimum of 5"x 7". I know this because my little Brother SE400 is a combination sewing and embroidery machine and is just a 4"x4" maximum design area. After my 1st embroidery attempt I wanted a bigger one.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 12:39:38 PM »
I agree with @Renegade Sewist that the most important thing is going to be the maximum hoop size.  I think that most machines (certainly the well known makes) are good, so if you're looking for a second hand machine you probably want to look for the best price to hoop-size ratio!

I was lucky enough to get my Husqvarna Viking Topaz 25 at half price from a dealer because a customer had ordered it, received it and then decided they wanted a bigger one.  They hadn't even used it, and I got the full guarantee and all the bits and pieces.  It's well worth looking for that sort of bargain from a dealer, and if you aren't set on a particular make it will be a lot easier.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 12:46:40 PM »
@annieeg the Brother machines are probably the easiest ones as regards understanding and operating.  As has been said, get the one with the largest embroidery area you can afford.  Years ago 4”x4” was pretty standard for designs.  Nowadays many designs are much larger and the smaller sizes aren’t always available as an option to purchase. 

Try and get to a dealer as they should be able to show you how they work and give advice.   

So Chic

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 12:58:53 PM »
I’ve noticed that most shops sewing embroidery designs commercially use Brother machines so that might be a starting point.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 13:45:28 PM »
Pfaff machines read all the other embroidery file types. Machines won't embroider right up to the edge of the hoops, so check the useable area. My big hoop says 300x260. I agree, get the biggest you can. I believe the Janome 500e is very good - I had the 350e first but I think it's obsolete now.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Stitchalot

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 15:41:11 PM »
Do you by any chance have an older Bernina which is capable of embroidery? (Eg .630, 580, 570)
If so, I have a module you (or anyone else) can have for shipping cost only. It would be necessary to purchase hoops as I use those supplied as extras with my newer model. It is in perfect working order and comes with embroidery foot, original box, and carrying case.

annieeg

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 15:43:15 PM »
Do you by any chance have an older Bernina which is capable of embroidery? (Eg .630, 580, 570)
If so, I have a module you (or anyone else) can have for shipping cost only. It would be necessary to purchase hoops as I use those supplied as extras with my newer model. It is in perfect working order and comes with embroidery foot, original box, and carrying case.
Thank you for the offer @Stitchalot but I only have Pfaff sewing machines :(

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 15:56:32 PM »
@annieeg do any of your Pfaffs take an embroidery module?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

annieeg

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 16:05:30 PM »
@annieeg do any of your Pfaffs take an embroidery module?

@Lachica   I've got a 1475 but that's quite old and while it does have the cd designer attachment I don't think that it takes an embroidery module.  The QE4.2 doesn't appear to have an option to attach any embroidery module either.  But thanks for the suggestion.  I've been scouting around for 2nd hand options but its all up near the £1000 mark so I might as well buy a new one (the pfaff creative 1.5 is £1500 or thereabouts) and get the reassurance of warranty etc.

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2022, 16:45:37 PM »
Will you use it enough to get your moneys worth? If so, a new one with warranty and manual sounds good.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

sewmuchmore

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2022, 19:11:03 PM »
@annieeg I echo what everyone has said, if you can afford it go for a middle range machine with large area. This site has a few makes that you can compare and i can recommend them, i have had a couple of machines from them in the past. There does seem to be a delay in getting Brother machine at the moment. When my Innovis v3 finally gave up the ghost (after having it 10 years) i ended getting the V5LE because that was the only machine available even though i will only be using the embroidery function. That is how addictive it can become.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2022, 19:26:10 PM »
@annieeg also know to allow a few hundred extra pounds/ euro/ dollars for thread, stabilizer and designs. Your machine will have some built in and you'll like a few of those but within 24 hours of using it you'll be looking for specific ones online. The thread isn't cheap and comes in a zillion colors. Also decide which type of thread you prefer, rayon or polyester. With my machine I ended up with mostly the  Trilobal polyester from Coats. It was accessible and frequently on sale at a chain fabric store that shut down a few years ago. Other big store doesn't have it. Then you need different stabilizers for different fabrics and types of projects. Who knew?
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sara-S

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2022, 19:02:21 PM »
I started with a Brother PEW535, which does 4 x 4.  It was inexpensive & not overly large.  In addition to cost, you need to think about how much space you have for it.  If you have more space, go for something bigger.  Don’t forget to budget for good embroidery machine software. 
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.