The Sewing Place

Craving an embroidery machine

sewmuchmore

Re: Craving an embroidery machine
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2022, 09:34:37 AM »
Another thought, check the weight of the machine and will your sewing table take that weight. I ended up having to buy a new desk/table when i upgraded to the V3 as the desk my previous machine sat on would not take the weight.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

annieeg

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2022, 14:47:36 PM »
Does anyone have any knowledge of the Memorycraft 8000? (One has just come up on FB quite near to me...)

Celia

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2022, 15:15:03 PM »
Yes this was one of the very first embroidery/sewing machines in the UK great in its day but not great now as the technology has changed dramatically, it was the first embroidery machine I had.

Diane

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2022, 15:34:12 PM »
ooh an embroidery machine again, for me it's one of those itches that i keep scratching, i feel very naughty  :devil:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

annieeg

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2022, 16:07:20 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on  the MC8000 and in view of the age of the machine and its limits, I think I should cross it off my list of potentials.  :(

annieeg

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2022, 11:59:38 AM »
Anyone got any views about the Janome 300e?
TIA
Annie

Kad

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2022, 12:37:38 PM »
@annieeg 
I had the Janome 300e after my Janome 8000 and before the 11000se and the 14000 that I have now, so it's getting on a bit now in terms of technology. It definitely used Janome design cards and also made use of low capacity (256mb ish) Compact Flash cards with an adaptor to store designs from the web.  It's now replaced by the 500e model which uses usb storage and direct connection to a laptop I think.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 12:41:33 PM by Kad »
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2022, 12:40:00 PM »
Anyone got any views about the Janome 300e?
TIA
Annie

Yup. It's old out of date technology.  @annieeg if you needed to replace your phone or computer would you buy one that was 10 years old or would you go for a current one knowing even it will be outdated in a year or two? Two things about this machine you should be thinking about. Nothing to do with Janome either, I like the ones I've used. First, by current standards this is a small entry level hoop. Have you thought about what precisely you would like to be embroidering, both designs and on what objects? Have you looked at designs to see if the ones you lust after are available for this, as well as how they look? Designs are not identical from size to size do to the number of stitches involved and the enhanced detail available on a larger design.

Second do you want to be buying special cards, card holders so you can put them in your machine as well as card readers? It takes a bit of fiddling to get a design from the net  onto your machine with this older technology. I would strongly urge you to hold out for a machine that at the very least let's you attach your pc to the embroidery machine by cable to transfer designs. Even that is a PITA. That's how my machine works. Newer ones use a USB to both store and transfer the designs. The newest machines allow for wireless design transfer. :love:

I just wouldn't pay for anything computerized that is that old and frankly antiquated. If it's a gift, sure. Otherwise you hold off and save up for newer technology and the biggest embroidery size available. Remember that hoop size does not equal largest embroidery field. Sometimes they'll tell you 5" x 7" and your embroidery field is smaller. Other times it will do designs that big.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2022, 16:40:14 PM »
@annieeg  Do you want an E machine just because or have ypu a specific project in mind?
If its the latter It would be a lot cheaper to get it done by someone else either professionally or semi professionally by someone close to you or on here....
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

annieeg

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2022, 16:51:39 PM »
@Iminei  I want an e-machine because I would like to try my hand at machine embroidery.  I have been quite inspired by stuff I've seen on TSP (not to mention a certain customised flower embroidered "Annie" cushion cover, done by a certain TSP'er  ;)
I've been trying to control my usual impetuous impulsive-buy urge which is why I am attempting to find a machine which doesn't involve a huge financial outlay where I can crawl  up the machine-embroidery learning curve. 
The dilemma is to find one which is reasonably current, at a price I can afford.
Annie

realale

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2022, 17:45:22 PM »
My 350e is still going strong but is already far behind all the newer ones - hence my looking at upgrading. The display on mine is monochrome and tiny but I make it work. I'm  used to it so there's no problem but a bigger display and colour would be good....  :P
So many beers, so little time.

annieeg

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2022, 14:26:25 PM »
Any opinion on the Bernina Arista 630?  (Pattern Review feedback are generally positive, but I'd appreciate anyone else's opinion.)
Annie

Kad

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2022, 15:05:13 PM »
According to Mr google, the first 2 digits of the machine's serial number indicate the year of manufacture. I think that this model was introduced  in the 2000's so is approaching  20 years old.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2022, 20:05:18 PM »
Any opinion on the Bernina Arista 630?  (Pattern Review feedback are generally positive, but I'd appreciate anyone else's opinion.)
Annie

Still old technology.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2022, 09:32:03 AM »
@annieeg have you said what is your budget? I cannot seem to see any mention of what you are thinking. It may help us to look/offer advice.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet