The Sewing Place

Do you starch.......

Lowena

Do you starch.......
« on: January 02, 2022, 14:16:22 PM »
 and if so, when?
I've never starched fabric for piecing but have noticed that a lot of people do, and swear by it as an aid to accuracy.
Do you starch your fabric?
Some starch before they begin and some starch blocks before joining......do you do either?
Pros and of very welcome  :sew:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

Re: Do you starch.......
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 14:21:04 PM »
I use Best Press before I press my fabric, before cutting.  This is something I began to do last year.  I think it does help to make cutting more accurate.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 14:38:10 PM »
I use Best Press (which isn't starch - it's similar but less stiff), because it stops the shapes from warping.  Triangles in particular, because they have a bias edge, benefit from being stabilised just a bit.  I usually use it before joining, but it would actually be more sensible to do it before cutting.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 15:09:34 PM »
I've never starched.  I find good quality quilting cotton very stable.  I might use it if it was different fabric, washed fabric or a design with  squilion bias edges in the piecing.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 15:15:59 PM »
That's always been my thinking @Ploshkin
Triumph of hope over experience :D

fajita

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 16:00:17 PM »
I don’t starch.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 19:16:23 PM »
I typically use prewashed fabric and that I'll use Best Press on the yardage before cutting. But not always. If I'm just cutting jelly roll strips and the fabric is smooth/unwrinkled I might skip it. If it's factory fresh fabric it's got stuff on it to give it stability so I don't unless there are some resistant fold lines. If I need to spritz those to press them out I'll use the BP to help coax them out.

I use the lavender scent.  It makes it a bit like a spa day. In fact I just bought a lovely lavender dish washing liquid for the same reason.  :thumb:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 15:08:47 PM »
My favourite laundry scent is Lavender... :meditate:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sara-S

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 18:57:30 PM »
I starch when I press, before I cut the fabric
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 21:50:04 PM »
Those of you who do "starch", what product do you use? I use Best Press which doesn't contain starch. Starch attracts bugs. Since I am slower than molasses in winter that is problematic.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

mudcat

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2022, 08:02:30 AM »
I tried it once for some reason (I don't remember why ... probably because I read that it could be helpful).  I hated it.  Made a mess. I've no idea what I used ... whatever was at the supermarket no doubt.

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 09:35:41 AM »
I use Best Press (unscented, although if I could find the lavendar and vanilla at a decent price in this country I would try it!)

I have also used a homemade version, which is simply 2 parts water, 1 part vodka and a few drops of essential oil, but I don't think it's as good as Best Press.  I wish I could find out what was in Best Press!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

rubywishes

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 21:53:08 PM »
Not usually. I am pedantic about pressing my fabric before and during construction but not starching.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!