The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place’s year-long stash-busting challenge - 01-01-2022 to 31-12-2022

Ann

Welcome to The Sewing Place’s year-long stash-busting challenge.
There are no rules or regulations. This is about you deciding how you want to stashbust, defining your own goals and cheering others on along the way.

This thread will run all year, and conclude at the end of 2022.Whether you choose to diligently stashbust along and record your numbers or just join in the thread is up to you.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Vezelay

Thanks, I'm in. 12 months ago I banned myself from buying more fabric until my excessive stash is well slashed. So far I've complied, the only exception being a zip jacket for DH - that's fair enough. I only used seven or eight lots in 2021 but they were the easy ones French terry, cotton/lycra. Oh and I have a pattern stash too. And a sewing gadget stash...Sounds like just the challenge for me! 0_0

Cazlyn

Yup I’m in.  I really need to use my stash and not buy ANY fabric, this goes for yarn too!

Challenge accepted x
Crafting is my happy place

Renegade Sewist

This year I'm definitely in. I haven't been sewing but at least I'm not buying for my nonexistent sewing.  :thumb: One way or another I need to clear out some of my abundance of sewing supplies from fabric on down. This is pitiful or pitiable. Or both. :cry:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

b15erk

I'm in again!!  I've been very good, and not bought a great deal of new fabric, but I didn't sew as much as I would have liked in 2021, so, here I go again!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

Ok I’m going to join this too!   Not saying I won’t buy anything else………
But I do have some I can clear out so must get inventive!    :thumb:

Boppingbeth

I’m in!  I want to sew enough fabric that all my fabric fits on the shelves in my sewing room by New Year’s Eve 2022.  I may have to add some ‘move along’ destashing to reach that goal. 

Bumblebuncher

Errr, does this mean you can't buy any new fabric? Or just use some of what you already have to conclude the year with slightly less than you started with? And do you need to know how much fabric you have in the first place?
Asking for a friend  :[
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ellabella

I’m in.

I’ve been doing well over the last six months but it will help me to document it.

I’m not going to measure what is there, far too embarrassing and time consuming.

I will only buy specific fabrics for projects after checking the stash for something suitable

So far this year I have donated about 4m of fleece pieces to hedgehog rescue and today have cut out 4 double sided aprons for DD and the GCs so that’s another 3.5m.

So 7.5m gone, lots more to go.

Renegade Sewist

Errr, does this mean you can't buy any new fabric? That's up to you. Or just use some of what you already have to conclude the year with slightly less than you started with? Also up to you. And do you need to know how much fabric you have in the first place? I think you see where I'm going here by now. Up to you...
Asking for a friend  :[
BB

Lol. Tell your "friend" it's up to her. Or him. Or they. I need to get rid of / use a heck of a lot more than what a "slight" reduction would cover. Do whatever makes you happy. This is like the Pirate Code, more guidelines than rules. And since you get to make up yer own rules, well,  :dance: anything goes.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bumblebuncher

Lol. Tell your "friend" it's up to her. Or him. Or they. I need to get rid of / use a heck of a lot more than what a "slight" reduction would cover. Do whatever makes you happy. This is like the Pirate Code, more guidelines than rules. And since you get to make up yer own rules, well,  :dance: anything goes.
My friend thinks she may be able to take part in this then  :dance:
Arrrrrrrr (that there be pirate talk)
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

toileandtrouble

@Bumblebuncher  That would be the "friend you were asking for" then?   :laughing:
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

MitchOfTheNorth

I'm back in too.  I got rid of a lot last year but I also bought new stuff.  I need to sew - a lot.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

Ellabella

I have to stop looking at bargain fabrics. My DD was asking about a corduroy skirt for my GD.  My first thought was Dalston Mill had bargain 8m bundles for £40.

She is 3 for gawds  sake, half a metre will be more than plenty.

realale

Well I didn't do too well last year so I'll have another go this year. I got distracted by the two Christmas quilts and had to buy extra to finish them off. January will be the small but useful challenge which won't take up much yardage but it will reduce my fat quarter stash. :P
So many beers, so little time.