The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place’s year-long stash-busting challenge - 01-01-2022 to 31-12-2022

toileandtrouble

Oddly enough, I also have a friend who needs to reduce her stash.  I don't like to stash-shame, but that 50m MitchOfTheNorth was aiming for last year would not make much of a dint.  She also has the same problem as Ellabella with 'bundles'  And Renegade Sewist.  Oh dear!  I will pass on your tips! 
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Bumblebuncher

What I love about this forum is it makes me feel normal :laughing:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Renegade Sewist

What I love about this forum is it makes me feel normal :laughing:
BB

:laughing: I've always fit in with the weirdos.  :dance:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

Part of it is the last two years. This whole Wackadoodle business has taken a toll on everyone. I've seen a dramatic shift in the collective sense of humor. Besides, normal is so overated.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

toileandtrouble

@Renegade Sewist  I think you are right.  This is one of our safe places.   We talk about what makes us happy, meet people we like and learn things, which always feels good. People are kind to each other, and helpful.  And funny.  Sounds pretty sensible to me.  That is what normal ought to be.
Back to decluttering - actually, 50m in a year is only one a week ... If I make a  blouse with 2.5. I am ahead of myself.  Might not be a bad goal  Oops, did I say myself?

Tamnymore

My name is Tamnymore and I am a fabricaholic. @toileandtrouble just wondering if I'm that friend of yours and if we have ever met in real life. @Renegade Sewist I couldn't agree more - normal is overrated.

Like Oscar Wilde I can resist everything except temptation and online purchases are a terrible temptation. I.conitinued to sew last year and I gave a lot away. This year I must finish all those UFOs, give more away and stop looking at fabric online so I'm in!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Acorn

My friend says that she doesn't think her stash has maxed out yet, and anyway, the problem is a shortage of cupboards, not an excess of fabric.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lachica

@Acorn I have the same problem as your friend.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Tamnymore

Maybe my house needs an extension.... with plenty of built-in cupboards.....
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Helen M

I'll join in again this year! Last year I didn't do too well but I hardly sewed anything at all.

I need to do a good sort and move on anything I won't use up myself.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Bodgeitandscarper

I think I've not increased my fabric stash over the last year but I mustn't mention my vinyl and leather stash I am growing.

toileandtrouble

No fabric yet but totally used up ends of four bits of variegated yarn to make a doll's cabled jumper, also  a hat to match the jumper I made her last year and a pastelly sort of Dr Who type scarf to wear with the coat I haven't made yet.  About 80g gone.  It is a start. And  made the collar and sewed up the pink cardigan I started last year.  It needs buttons and then can go to the child.   A friend has provided one the right size.  So I finished a UFO as well. Must sew, must sew... wanders off.,

Bumblebuncher

Not a good start for me  :cry:
I just ordered 2  metres of linen  :laughing:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ohsewsimple

I used 1.20 metres of jersey on a top last week.  And hoped to finish my trousers today which would have used another 1.80 metres.  But nope, didn’t like how what I’d done so ripping has started.

Ann

I started this thread and forgot to say I am in. I have sewn 1.75 meters of fabric in the first 6 days of this month making masks.

I am decluttering and cleaning the sewing room and it is a mess. Except in the areas I have cleaned. I am managing to keep them clean.

I have lots of ideas written down to make this year and most can come from the stash. I will have to buy fabric to finish up some projects as the stash is looking quite mismatched from sewing from it for 3 years in a row. So far I have sewn 1.75 meters into masks for us, family and friends.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres