The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place’s year-long stash-busting challenge - 01-01-2022 to 31-12-2022

Ellabella

Slight blip last night, I ordered 4m from the temptation that is Immanuels FB page :scream:

But in my defence 2 m is to make a tablecloth and the other 2m is for this

https://www.spencerogg.com/product/escape-pod/.

The fabric is a linen printed with shoes and I’ve had this pattern since it release awaiting the right fabric so hopefully I can get it made up very soon.

Tamnymore

Yes Immanuel's provides lots of temptation!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ann

I had a day that I didn't feel like doing any decluttering, purging or cleaning in the sewing room so I cut out and made a gift bag. I have enough to make a 2nd one when I have time to sew it up.

Yesterday and pulled all the quilting cottons off the shelving unit that holds the stash. I sorted, dreamed, played and got some ready to ship to a new sewer. The rest was organized and put back on the shelf. When we moved here, the quilting cottons filled up 2 shelves. It is now down to one shelf with air space. Even DH noticed the difference and made a comment on it. A quick tally shows I have sewn about 200 meters from the stash and about 75 meters that I bought since 2019. If I really focused hard, I could have all the quilting cottons sewn up this year but I doubt if that will happen.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

b15erk

@Ann , that bag is beautiful!  Lovely fabrics.  <3

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Missie

This year I'm definitely in. I haven't been sewing but at least I'm not buying for my nonexistent sewing. 

Alas, I have been  :facepalm: 

If I put it here that means I have to do it, doesn't it.................

Ann

I have been decluttering and purging the sewing room. One thing I decided not to do was measure the fabrics I will be shipping to a new sewer. They will be gone and she will enjoy them.

I had 2 pieces of fabric left over from making masks for DD. One was 6" and the other 5" the width of the fabric. So far I have made her 2 mug rugs and have 2 left to make.

The goal is to get the merging of the mug rug design with another design and have the last row of stitching on the mug rug come after the 2nd design is complete. After making these 2 mug rugs, I think I have it figured out. I've gone from an almost disaster on the cat saying mug rug to I got all this figured out to the last row of stitching on the dog saying one. The next one I make will see if I got the stitch out order right and the 4th one should be clear sailing. If so, I'll be onto making these for Christmas gifts.
Stash Busting 2023

Ellabella

Another 2.2m bought, it was a bargain but I’ve no idea what to use it for :scream:

realale

Another 2.2m bought, it was a bargain but I’ve no idea what to use it for :scream:
It wouldn't be black lacy would it, @Ellabella:P
So many beers, so little time.

Ellabella

Might be :dance: :laughing:

Mind you DD has just spotted it and said ‘Oh I rather like that’ so it might not be a problem for long.

Ann

I've been busy and got 4 more mug rugs done.

I still have a fat quarter to make into piping and then sew a doll's outfit. I have all of that in the stash. I am tracing pieces onto Steam-A Steam for a wall hanging and it is a huge job. I will be days at it as I can only do about 20 minutes and then I go crazy trying to see the lines. It is a project that I think will take many months to make. But I have planned for that.

I haven't bought any fabric yet. Both times I went by the quilt shop it was busy and they had an exposure. I need to go in for a project in February. I will plan to go either at noon or 4 pm when it is quiet.
Stash Busting 2023

Sew Swarley

Hi! I'm new here thanks for having me.
Hoping that being part of a stash busting challenge with others might help keep me on target better than on my own.  Last year I managed to only reduce my stash by 11m. Failed dismally on my goal to use fabric 1.5 x more than bought.

As at 28/1/22
In = 0
Out = 6.2m

dyedinthewool

I desperately need to sew from stash so I did part of Just Get It Done Quilt's declutter challenge and I've made myself up "kits" of fabric, pattern and notions so I've got a place to start.

Not actually done anything yet, but it's the thought/organisation that counts right?

Ann

@dyedinthewool, I did the challenge too. I have a few items set aside to be done this year. I can piece on one sewing machine but the one I want to do the free motion quilting on is in to have the top tension looked at.

@Sew Swarley, sewing up 11 meters is 11 less meters you have in the stash. I have been 3 years at this and I'm seeing the results. I want to the stash gone as when I die, it will either go into the dump or to a thrift shop. The dump more than likely so I'm working away on it so people can enjoy the items I make from it.

I sewed 5.4 meters of fabric this month but it all came from the stash. I haven't been to the fabric store since mid December. The store closed for 3 weeks over the holidays and was so busy when they opened up I stayed away. I will have to go this month as I need some fabric to do a couple of projects. Buying only what I need and nothing more. Once again I am sewing and knitting up what I have as much as possible. Buying fabric only to finish up projects has been my mantra.
Stash Busting 2023

realale

I'm still doing the Just Get it Done declutter challenge..... It's taking a lot longer to wade my way through all the detritus treasures that I have carefully kept to Do Something With than I anticipated.  :embarrassed: The room is beginning to look better but a long way to go yet and I have sooooo much fabric to use up.
I managed to be purchase free last year right up until the Christmas quilts. Can't resist a bit if Christmas fabric!!
So many beers, so little time.

b15erk

I'm hoping to use so much fabric from my stash this year, that I will have room to keep what is left, all tidy.  :angel:

Well, that's the theory.  :laugh: 

I've just cut out another Kimono (they use up loads!), and I'll cut out a jacket tomorrow.  :angel:  A blouse is also on the to do list, when I decide on a pattern.

While I was in Southport last week, I saw a few young women wearing jeans with different coloured legs. :rolleyes:  Is this a new trend, and would it be useful for stash busting...?  :thinking:

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.