The Sewing Place

Funky velvet upholstery fabric?

Missie

Funky velvet upholstery fabric?
« on: January 04, 2022, 13:29:29 PM »
Ok, so following on from my comment in plans for 2022, I really want to get this chair covered.  I really want velvet (which I may live to regret) and I want it funky.  The main colour of the room is purple, but has accents of hot pink, turquoise and lime.  Any ideas on where I could look for some velvet to match.  I don't care about the pattern, just the colours need to match (I've seen some with skulls on that I quite like).  If the worst comes to the worst, I will just do it in purple, but I really want it to be wild!  Anyone seen anything on their internet travels?

Bumblebuncher

Re: Funky velvet upholstery fabric?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 14:08:41 PM »
@Missie Immanuels have a few at the moment
Immanuels
not sure if they have what you want but they add them regularly and I have seen some gorgeous furnishing velvet on there.
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Missie

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 15:40:42 PM »
Thank you @Bumblebuncher   I shall go and investigate!

sewmuchmore

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 17:15:12 PM »
Lots of velvet upholstery fabric here and here at fabworks
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 17:23:57 PM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Missie

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 17:59:41 PM »
Thank you @sewmuchmore .  More to investigate  :D :D

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 18:11:23 PM »
Following this as I'll be covering 2 armchairs once our new sofa arrives in 6 days. Funky velvet sounds great.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 18:37:54 PM »
Just Fabrics have some lovely patterned velvets:

https://www.justfabrics.co.uk/?search=velvet%20upholstery

Missie

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 11:29:51 AM »
Thank you @Greybird   I found them yesterday from another post of yours.  I'm thinking of this one.  I just now need to work out how much I need to cover the chair.

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 11:49:27 AM »
Ooh! Lovely choice. Depends on the chair of course, but I have a friend who used to work for interior designers. She told me that they allow an average of 5m for a chair and 10m for a 2 seater sofa. You would have to allow extra for pattern repeats. Just fabrics are very helpful and if you ring them they would probably be able to suggest how to work it out.

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 12:19:43 PM »
@Missie thanks for doing my research for me  :D I really like that. @Greybird thank you too - that means I'd need 10m. I'm not ready to order fabric until the new sofa arrives so I can make sure we get something that goes well.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 09:44:33 AM »
@Missie it is cheaper here and no PP.
i can recommend the shop, i recently recovered my settee and chairs with velvet from here and service is great.

Janet

Missie

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 09:58:07 AM »
Ooh, thank you @sewmuchmore   :*  Could I ask how much you needed for your chair, please.  I know they are probs different styles but, just a rough gauge.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 17:19:54 PM »
@Missie The fabric i used was a plain silver velvet and ordered 20 metres for settee/chairs. My furniture is solid oak frame with loose cushions so not much upholstery just made 10 loose covers with enough left over to recover a pouffe. Because of the nap each cushion took approx 1 3/4 metres. It really depends on the style of your chair and how big the pattern repeat is.  I measured each cushion and then plotted out on graph paper how i could get each piece from the width of the fabric in order to work out how much i needed. The last wing chair i recovered for someone took 7 metres.
Just Fabrics have a good article here that give an approximate figure.
Plus if you are using piping don't forget to factor that in. I always cut on the straight grain for upholstery piping (saves a lot of fabric) and have never had any problems. 

Janet

SunnyWave

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2022, 09:32:44 AM »
Sounds like a really interesting project! Would love to see the final result

SimOneNL

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2022, 01:16:12 AM »
Stof France have beautiful funky velvet upholstery fabric, Spoonflower as well. Not allowed to post links, sorry about not being more helpful.