The Sewing Place

Knitting Techniques

b15erk

Knitting Techniques
« on: January 06, 2022, 09:36:17 AM »
This thread has come out of my frustration at not knowing how to do something, and becoming sidetracked by the need to know.  By the time I have mastered the skill, invariably the project has become a UFO.

Anyone else have this problem?

My latest and ongoing frustration was with the tubular cast on with provisional yarn - sounds like a mouthful I know, but it's a lovely rib finish for necks and hats.

Anyone else struggle with techniques in the same way? 

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sheilago

Re: Knitting Techniques
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 09:50:55 AM »
I don’t find that they become a UFO, but I do get annoyed that next time I have to use the technique, I often don’t remember and have to learn all over again! :o  Haven’t heard of tubular cast on  :thinking:

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 09:56:18 AM »
@Sheilago , it's a lovely rib finish, but there are so many different ways of doing it, that eventually I developed my own way.  Nice and stretchy, without a hard rib edge. 

So many other tequniques to master though...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Missie

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 10:00:53 AM »
I have that problem with crochet, not that I do much.  I can never remember how to do the stitches, which is further worsened by the differences in UK and US crochet.  I never crochet without an open laptop by my side!

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 10:15:27 AM »
I’m another one who forgets how to do things very quickly.  I find the best way for me to cope is to pick a YouTube instructor I understand and stick with their series of videos. 

For knitting this is Very Pink Knits.

A friend of mine swears by knitting from charts but I’ve never mastered this. I keep having to refer to the key to remember what the symbol means and it takes forever.

On a plus note, I’ve just had an email informing me my new Chiaogoos are arriving this morning  :dance: :dance:

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 11:16:41 AM »
On the whole I tend to be a bit of a dinosaur with knitting and use the techniques I know if they do the job.  However that doesn't mean I am averse to trying something different.  Since I first tried a long tail cast on I have used it as my go to cast on.  I also use magic loop a lot which is a technique I had to learn.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 11:45:42 AM »
I don’t generally knit although I can.  I find it takes too long.  I prefer crochet.  But I can never remember techniques so always have to look things up or watch a video.  And UK v US drives me nuts. 

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 12:28:49 PM »
I tried the tubular cast on once.  It does give a nice edge (and a lot of machine knits start with something similar) but the real benefit is that it's stretchy.  For me a lot of practice with doing long tail cast on (thumb method) making the stitches very loose and with space between them means that my cast ons are now as stretchy as the rest of the knitting.

I too like the very pink videos; her knitting style is similar to mine.
https://verypink.com/
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

LeilaMay

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 12:41:25 PM »
Never can remember M1L and M1R - the difference I mean :)
I like Suzanne Bryan myself.

SingingSinger

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 18:46:25 PM »
I enjoy knitting but struggle with knitting in the round.

I'm trying to get the hang of magic loop but it's hard going. Sometimes I think I've got it but it doesn't seem to stick
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 21:45:39 PM »
I'm mediocre at best in both. At that I'm flattering myself. When I was about 5 my maternal grandmother, who could do  it all and was an amazing seamstress taught me how to crochet those cute little 3D flowers. Then we moved away and no more. I can still do them somewhat intuitively.  I took an 8 week knitting class about 15 years ago and learned to make a basic scarf then a nice dishcloth knit on the diagonal. That's mostly my repertoire. I have problems with my wrists and hands so it's all problematic now.

Oddly enough the only cast on I know is the long tail version.

A few years ago a friend taught me to crochet. I flunked. I'm great if she gets me started and I can hang out with her but the second I get home I look at it and have no idea what to do. It's very disappointing.

Crochet is easier on my hands,  just the one hook vs a pair of needles. I've tried all types to cut down on the weight. I even bought a learn to knit kit simply because it included a pair of needles in whatever size it is I use for the scarves that are only 8 or 9 inches long. They aren't too bad.

I plan on trying again this year. Maybe I'll have better luck.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2022, 09:27:01 AM »
@Renegade Sewist that's odd.  I have painful hands and wrists and I find crochet hard on my wrists because of the twisting action but I can knit ok if I use needles with a cable and don't stick at it for too long at a time.   The interchangeable needles are short ( only about 5") and I can keep the weight of the knitting in my lap.  I've knitted an aran weight cardigan in one piece with no problem.
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2022, 09:31:17 AM »
I've used the same two cast on methods ever since I started knitting at about age 5 or 6. However, I saw a different one when someone posted a You Tube link and I've heard people mention the long-tail one quite a bit. Looks as if I'll have to update my skills.

I took to German short rows when I knitted a zip-up cardi a few years ago but would always have to follow the instructions; however, the GSRs on my Hearthside slippers are driving me to distraction. Not sure I'll ever want to use them again  :sorry:

Love knitting in the round.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2022, 10:34:46 AM »
All I remember is make a loop and create the rest by working into the first loop and on the first full row knit into the back loop.  I hold the needles all the time and with just my right index finger swing the wool around the needle.

I think  since I've got waist deep in sewing since 2008, I've never touched a needle since, although I am not throwing them out, just in case.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Celia

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2022, 10:35:13 AM »
I have been knitting forever and actually worked in the field, not hand knitting, only this last couple of years have I taken to experimenting with different techniques.  I love these people https://shop.actechniques.co.uk/ Jen has some great YouTube videos too.

I do try to knit a technique more than once if I know I like it, so if I find a new cast on etc I do at least 2 or 3 projects using it, same if I use a new heel in a sock I will always do 2 pairs somehow it helps me to remember