The Sewing Place

Knitting Techniques

b15erk

Re: Knitting Techniques
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2022, 11:04:21 AM »
I have a really clumsy knitting style, although I've tried to change it many times I keep going back to the way I first learnt how to knit.  It's complicated by my fingers not being as supple as they used to be.

My big problem is that like with my sewing, if I don't quite grasp a technique quickly, I lose interest and the project becomes a UFO.

A new thing for me has been sock knitting which I really enjoy, although I do tend to pick simple patterns.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2022, 13:30:44 PM »
*Looks on wisely
Yep, yep, I use needles and wool, yep, yep .
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

realale

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2022, 13:33:54 PM »
I always cast on using the long tail method although it took me a while to get into the rhythm with it when I first started.

I've just stuck to the methods I used on the first sock I knit, although having researched on Youtube they seem to be the most popular anyway!! It's the kitchener that gets me every time - I have to virtually chant it out loud until I've finished it!!
Apart from socks I haven't knit anything since the two scarves and cowls I made three or four years ago. When I was about 15 I knit my sister an intricate lace cardigan - it looked fabulous. Sadly that was over 50 years ago and was probably the last (and only) decent thing I knit!!  :P

I'm a slow knitter with a knitting style that is never going to win awards!  0_0
So many beers, so little time.

b15erk

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2022, 10:51:47 AM »
I've just come across this thread whilst looking for something else, and I've given myself a pat on the back!

I really struggled with the tubular cast on with provisional yarn technique, as it's a lovely rib finish with no hard edge.  I've made 3 hats now, all using the technique ( which I modified to suit me), and it looks really good.  I did struggle with each hat, and it took me ages just to do the rib.

However, I finished the last cable hat the other day, and, being laid up with a bad back, I started the Owl Hat for Theo.  I picked my provisional starter up, (I don't start a new provisional piece each tiime, I re-use an earlier one) and adjusted the number of stitches.  Changed to the yarn I intended to use, and knit four rows.  Then I went on to the pick up - and it went like a dream! :thumb: :dance:

I ended up with the correct number of stitches, and it had gone without a problem.  The difference seemed to be, that I'd used dpns instead of the circular needle.  I removed the provisional piece, and just carried on using circulars now.

I still have a very clumsy knitting technique, probably more so, as my hands don't work as well as they might, but, I can still knit, so I'll take that!  :meditate:

I've attached a pic of my three cable hats - Lapland here we come!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2022, 11:52:38 AM »
They're absolutely lovely!  And are you really going to Lapland???  0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2022, 12:09:57 PM »
Great hats Jessie.  I've never tried that cast on but it does look neat.  I must look it up.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ouryve

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2022, 12:27:29 PM »
I do love the look of that cast on but my attempts at it, in the past, have failed miserably. Fab hats!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

b15erk

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2022, 12:40:00 PM »
Thank you all lovely ladies!  Yes, we are going to Lapland for Christmas  @Acorn but Ssssh, it's a Big Secret - well, from Lilya and Theo!  :thumb:

@Ouryve , at the beginning of the year, I would have agreed with you - I found it really difficult, but it seems I have now 'got it'!  :D

@Ploshkin , I've done my own hack, and it works well for me.  It isn't a difficult technique, but fiddly on the fingers at first.

It's the best way I've found to start a hat.

Jessie

Celia

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2022, 13:24:13 PM »
They look brilliant and how lovely for Lapland

coffeeandcake

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2022, 13:53:44 PM »
I'm another who hasn't tried this method of casting on.  What a nice soft result it gives.  I shall look it up in a little while.  Lovely hats :loveit:

Sheilago

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2022, 14:04:49 PM »
Your hats are beautiful. I’m knitting sweaters for my granddaughters in pink sparkly yarn( their choice!) and it looks like I’ll have lots left to do matching hats. Must look up tubular cast on. :D

coffeeandcake

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2022, 14:24:37 PM »
I've just looked at a few videos of tubular cast on and have bookmarked one from knitty.com.  I will give it a go for the next item that I make.

sewminds

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2022, 11:58:54 AM »
@LeilaMay Simple dimple...The M1R means you pick up the loop from the rear(R for rear) and knit through the front leg..therefor the make one left is the opposite..pick up the loop from the front but then knit it through the back leg.  ;)
Sew it needs juice!

sewminds

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2022, 12:04:48 PM »
@b15erk Smashing hats and wowser on the trip! I hope it all goes smoothly for you all. What a fantastic memory you'll be creating.
Sew it needs juice!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2022, 13:43:51 PM »
That cast on method appears to give the same edge as a machine knit circular cast on.  I don't hand knit so I wouldn't understand how you do it by hand!