The Sewing Place

Pattern Magic by Tomoko Nakamichi

mudcat

Re: Pattern Magic by Tomoko Nakamichi
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2022, 17:51:30 PM »
I never really did get why students had to use 1/2 size slopers. I am afraid i went against the grain when i taught basic pattern making to beginners and always got them to make full sized slopers, so much easier to work with. Plus you didn't have to do everything twice i.e. make a miniature and then scale up.

Probably because the point of the class was to learn the concepts of pattern design.  We only made one full scale original design pattern (with a minimum of four pieces).  We were turning in up to a dozen different pattern pieces every week so doing them full scale would have taken a lot longer. Plus in the classroom there is limited space in normal times (class was at 50% capacity to accommodate distancing when I took it).

Were you doing workshop type classes or full semester college courses? 

grannysyb

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2022, 21:13:26 PM »
I don't know what a sloper is!

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2022, 12:04:43 PM »
@grannysyb

A Sloper is a generic pattern based on your measurements without any seam allowances or style.
It's the building block of all patterns, helping you to not only sew clothes, but design your own perfectly fitting pattern or help you to adjust ready made patterns to fit you perfectly.

Similarly a ‘block’ is the same sort of idea but includes some ease. I’ve tried making a block using my own measurements for designing trouser patterns, as it’s a fairly simple shape.

The link below might help to explain it in more detail?
https://sewguide.com/how-to-make-sloper/

grannysyb

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2022, 18:46:20 PM »
@wildanlanticway, thanks so much for the link , it looks very useful.