The Sewing Place

Sewing room flooring

crooknees

Re: Sewing room flooring
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 18:17:48 PM »
I can't offer advice on the flooring for your sewing room as mine has a type of concrete, popular in 17th.-18th. century.
It has endured centuries of waxing and is very shiny. It  also slopes towards the centre. I use anti slip plastic under my wheelie chair and the foot pedals of my machines. It is cheap and works a treat 0_0

Mamashep

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 22:52:05 PM »
I have carpet, which was in the room already, so was the cheap and easy option. I had been thinking of laminate, but your experience goes against that.
What is the actual floor? Is it concrete, or floorboards, or what? Although it's not fashionable, vinyl floor covering comes in many different guises and is very practical. Alternatively there are a lot of the amtico types, not all as expensive as the market leader.

I have floorboards, rather uneven ones as it is an old house. I have been looking around and it seems that I'm going for the amtico type flooring.

Mamashep

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 22:54:32 PM »
My sewing room has carpet which has been down for yonks and although a hard floor would be practical for sweeping up all the bits of thread and snippets of fabric I'm not sure that it would work.

The spare bedroom, which with one bed pushed underneath the other one gives me the biggest area of floor space available in the house, has a laminate floor but just walking across it sounds downstairs.  I think moving a chair on casters would sound awful and lead to more than a few disgruntled words from Terry.

The ideal would be a downstairs sewing room with ceramic tiles on the floor.
I have a downstairs sewing room, but ceramic tiles would not work in it

Lizzy777

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 23:19:09 PM »
I have floorboards, rather uneven ones as it is an old house. I have been looking around and it seems that I'm going for the amtico type flooring.

Have a look at Polyflor . You can have it as tiles, strips or in one piece.
I have ordered Polyflor in nine different rooms (different properties) and some have been down for more than 15 years and still look like new. Easy to clean, non slip and the colour ranges are tremendous. Cheaper than Karndean too.

With both Karndean and Polyflor you will need to have plywood put down over the floorboards first to even out the floor. The company supplying and fitting your polyflor will arrange for the plywood to be put down. It will last forever and always look good. It's warm too underfoot.

I looked at both Karndean versus Polyflor initially and Polyflor seemed the better one to me in terms of colour choices, ranges and prices.

http://www.polyflor.com/jh/products.nsf/products

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 12:04:41 PM »
We have Karndean in our downstairs loo and shower room.  Really like it. 

Efemera

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 12:39:13 PM »
I must be in the minority... I don't like laminate flooring, we had it in one bedroom and couldn't wait to take it up, it's noisy and collects dust bunnies. I have Karndean in the kitchen which I love and just had it laid in the hall which I'm not too keen on now it's down. The sewing/ craft room has cheap carpet tiles which I can swap around if they get marked with paint etc.

wrenkins

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 13:53:50 PM »
collects dust bunnies
As the housekeeper of two dogs I find that to be a good thing. You wait till they all gather in the corner, then pick them up and put them in the bin. You only have to clean the corner and not the whole floor!  ;)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Jo

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 17:50:57 PM »
Lucky you! As the housekeeper of one dog and three cats, I have dust bunnies all over the place. And just when I thought I've picked up the last one, another one comes flying about  :angry:

wrenkins

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 18:43:38 PM »
You need to practice patience Jo. You have to wait till they gather. It can take weeks!!!!!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 18:47:41 PM »
I don't like laminate flooring either.
We recently had the whole of our upstairs recarpetted and one of the bedroom ex-carpets went into the sewing room.It fits surprisingly well.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Hachi

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2017, 21:44:00 PM »
Sorry to be slightly off topic, but as a housekeeper of 2 dogs that shed year around, I get tumble weeds, rather than a cute dust bunny :woof:

Gernella

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2017, 11:34:35 AM »
Have a look at Polyflor . You can have it as tiles, strips or in one piece.
I have ordered Polyflor in nine different rooms (different properties) and some have been down for more than 15 years and still look like new. Easy to clean, non slip and the colour ranges are tremendous. Cheaper than Karndean too.

With both Karndean and Polyflor you will need to have plywood put down over the floorboards first to even out the floor. The company supplying and fitting your polyflor will arrange for the plywood to be put down. It will last forever and always look good. It's warm too underfoot.

I looked at both Karndean versus Polyflor initially and Polyflor seemed the better one to me in terms of colour choices, ranges and prices.

http://www.polyflor.com/jh/products.nsf/products

Never heard of this before, sounds interesting but I don't see any indication of guarantees on the website.  We've had Armstrong Rhino floor in the kitchen before but they no longer sell in the UK.  It lasted well apart from near the back door and it wore the pattern off at one point (although can't remember how many years it took).  Laminate is fine, until somebody drops a fork or knife or the dishwasher connection leaks and you don't notice for weeks!
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Roger

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2017, 19:32:16 PM »
We have 2 kids (fortunately they don't shed too badly) my partner and I both work from home with wheely office chairs, and my other half loves rebounding (small trampoline exercise) so our floor takes a hammering... we went for vinyl sheet, in 2 different types one looks like tiles for the kitchen, and the corridor and lounge were done in wood, I think the make is Tarkett, it's thick so very slightly yields to the touch, has no gaps or seams, which is fantastic for spills and lost pins, and is grained/textured, so the wood feels about right.

It seems to survive really well!

Can't knock it really
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 18:53:05 PM »
I have Karndean in the kitchen and downstairs hall.  It has a 25 year guaranteed life in heavy use before the pattern is likely to wear off.  I was recommended it by a buddy who fits kitchens for a living.  On the other hand, do not be tempted by bamboo flooring for anything but the lightest traffic.  It's not wood, it's grass, and the strands have to be glued together to make the boards.  Under heavy wear (eg your chair castors) they will shred.  My kitchen fitter buddy laid some for a lady who was absolutely determined to have it.  Six months later he was back stripping it out and replacing it with Karndean or Amtico (they're much the same and I can't recall now which - quality vinyl anyway) because it was coming apart around the kitchen door.

Sewbee

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2017, 20:34:10 PM »
I have carpet, which was in the room already, so was the cheap and easy option. I had been thinking of laminate, but your experience goes against that.
What is the actual floor? Is it concrete, or floorboards, or what? Although it's not fashionable, vinyl floor covering comes in many different guises and is very practical. Alternatively there are a lot of the amtico types, not all as expensive as the market leader.

I recently asked the same thing in one of the forums and rubber castors were suggested with laminate.