The Sewing Place

Pfaff part lost!

annieeg

Pfaff part lost!
« on: January 08, 2022, 16:17:17 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  My latest disaster  :embarrassed: :embarrassed: is that I tried to clean the inside of the QE4.2 bobbin area and the little knife. 
A part became loose during this process (see attached picture) and I've now lost the screw :scream: :scream:
Does anyone know what size of screw this might need?  I've googled the part number 413 0071 but without success.
As usual, any help much appreciated.
TIA  Annie
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 16:24:30 PM by annieeg »

Gernella

Re: Pfaff part lost!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 17:53:40 PM »
I think the easiest way to get out of this one is to pass to a dealer who does services for Pfaff machines @annieeg 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

weary

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 19:05:02 PM »
As a start, and in the absence of any other firm information it maybe worth trying as follows ->

If you can measure the diameter of the screw-fitting hole in your part it should give you a good indication of the screw size as your machine will be 'metric'.  The hole will be clearance for the screw, so 0.1 or possibly 0.2mm larger diameter than the screw size.
Recommended metric screws themselves are whole millimetre in diameter down to 3mm, then 2.5 and 2mm diameter.  There are two main thread per mm counts, fine and coarse, yours is likely to be coarse, which is the most common.  Possible, but unlikely that the manufacturer would have fitted one of the many other diameters/thread-counts available.
Length of screw is altogether another issue, to be tested very gently!  If you can 'get access' it can relatively easily be tested with a pin and a piece of card.
Looks like a 'countersunk' head of some form.

Regards,
Phil

Diane

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 19:21:04 PM »
@annieeg
I've had a look and i think you need to add 01 on to the end of the part number, i did find this and if you look at the attached link, on pages 8 & 9 it gives you a breakdown of the parts, i think the screw is number 13 on the parts list part number 412280501 which is part of the item in your picture called a fetcher which is item number 14. You could always contact a sewing machine service place and ask if they could send you one of these screws or an equivalent, these screws are for singer machines but fit the pfaff QE4.2
https://www.europdistri.fr/download/vues/machv/Topaz%2025.pdf

Have you tried tipping the machine upside down to see if it's rattling around inside?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 19:46:07 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

annieeg

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 20:01:19 PM »
@Diane
You are truly an angel!
Thank you so much.
Ax

Celia

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 20:20:41 PM »
The Topaz It is actually a Husqvarna Viking machine not Singer and you should be able to get the part from any Pfaff or Husqvarna dealer, the thing that worries me is where is the screw? could it have fallen into the machine?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 09:25:24 AM by Iminei »

annieeg

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 23:22:50 PM »
@Celia
Yes I believe it may have fallen into the base area under the bobbin as I can hear a rattle if I move the machine around.  I'm scared to undo any more screws  in the bobbin area in case I cause more  :( problems. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 09:25:10 AM by Iminei »

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 09:33:28 AM »
@annieeg

Some time ago an open curved saftey pin dropped through a crack on the top of the Splurgess (by the handwheel) and terrified of it getting caught where it oughtnt I researched .... by asking the peeps here of course ... Isnt this the best forum in the world????? and found that by undoing just four screws I could remove the base of the machine ... A lil tip (of the machine) and the pin dropped out ... Have you thought of trying that ???

It was really simple and quick .... heres the thread
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 10:21:46 AM »
Unfortunately @annieeg Husqvarna and Pfaff machines are not the same as Janome and you cannot just take the base off.

If the screw is laying on the bottom it should not cause a problem but if it is further up in the mechanics it could.  This is a photo of a Husqvarna machine without the covers on and needing a good clean of course. 
You cannot get into the underside from the bobbin area.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2022, 10:34:45 AM »
 :scream:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

annieeg

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2022, 11:08:56 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'm very grateful for your input in response to my "screw-up".

@Iminei I did try and see if I could undo the base and, as @Celia  says, its not possible. :cry:
I can clearly hear the screw rattling around if I tip the machine up and down slightly so I am encouraged that its loose in the base rather than stuck within the bobbin machinery.
I'll try and source one of those tiny screws, and keep you posted.
Annie
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 11:50:42 AM by Iminei »

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2022, 11:23:11 AM »
I'm with @Gernella . I'd take it to a dealer, let them replace it and give it a clean and service. They'll know what they're doing and there won't be a risk of making things worse  :sew:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2022, 11:30:36 AM »
I’d take it to a dealer too.  It could be expensive not to!  And it will have a nice service too   

annieeg

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2022, 11:34:19 AM »
I'll take the good advice and take it to a dealer.  It could benefit from a service anyway.
Annie  0_0

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2022, 11:49:04 AM »
Good decision @annieeg
We’d hate for you to mess your machine up!   :)