The Sewing Place

Upcycling a Patchwork Quilt Cover

Sandra

Upcycling a Patchwork Quilt Cover
« on: January 09, 2022, 12:11:02 PM »
I bought this years ago for my son thinking he probably wouldn't really like it (a bit too boring/old fashioned? Too grown up) but he gave it the thumbs up. He's all grown up now in a big bed  0_0 so a single quilt cover's no use to him any more.

Can't remember where I bought it from but it's 100% cotton and it's not printed. It's real life stitched together patchwork squares.

Oh, I do wish they'd pre-washed the fabrics before stitching them together.  :S  ><
It's been an absolute nightmare to iron. Like trying to iron a human body! It's twisted, wrinkly and shrunken in places.
It was even annoying to fold up because it was so twisted.

Didn't know whether to charity shop it or dump it in the clothing bank nearby, but I've decided to take it apart and turn it into a quilt. I like the colours. Sort of denim-y blue-grey.
I simply cut it all apart getting as close to the stitching line as possible, and have pressed all the pieces.

Ooooh....it was lovely  :loveit: to iron flat.

I don't think it's going to be hugely different to the original. The more I tinker with the squares, the smaller they'll become. They need squaring up for starters, so that's going to trim them down.
I'll try to have a think about some sort of layout.
No idea on a time scale for my plan but one day I'm sure I'll make a start on it.

Sandra.
xxx

Celia

Re: Upcycling a Patchwork Quilt Cover
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 12:17:33 PM »
Wow that’s a brilliant idea, I am getting more into this remaking from old. Maybe we need a new thread.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 13:38:12 PM »
It looks to be made from shirt fabrics - so quite likely a memory quilt made from the shirts of a loved one who had died. 

The original squares look to be about 6" x 6" (which is quite big) and the fact that you were able to just cut them apart means that they hadn't been quilted (except maybe in the ditch) suggests that it was made by someone not experienced in quiltmaking. 

There are lots of ways you could put the squares back together again; just as they were and make a smaller lap quilt or acquire more fabric (charity shop shirts?).  I agree with you that checked and striped fabrics really do need to be cut on grain.

We will get you over to the dark side!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 13:59:48 PM »
@BrendaP  No it hadn't been quilted at all. It was a proper duvet cover and yes, very much like men's shirt fabric but not the nice, smooth, fine cotton shirts like Imi used. This is slightly coarser stuff.

It was stitched and overlocked together and as you say, the squares were about 6 inches to start with but when I've squared them up they're going to have to be 5 inch. Some of them are so wonky and on the squiff.

I think I'm going to do a simple 8 squares across and 10 squares down quilt top, with the squares stitched in blocks of four, separated with sashing using the original outer border fabric.
That's the plan for now anyway.  :thumb:

I'll remove the outer border fabric coloured squares from the pile and I've now unpicked  :laughing: ripped apart the pillowcase to salvage what I can from that.

I'm not too concerned about it having to be a particular size. It'll be whatever it becomes (within reason).

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 14:03:45 PM »
Nothing wrong with 6" (f) squares ...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Its lovely working with laundered shirts because they attain a softness and subtlety of colour unlike anything else ... but you say the fabrics were not prewashed ... so maybe not a memory quilt maybe a cheap first project for someone as the colours are all a bit myeh errrm lacking pop.

Add a lil Take a lil, make stripes from them using a background fabric between, make HST's from them with a BG fabric  ... play! Lovely!

Which reminds me after the thing Ive been working on today there will be Heathies memory quilt to start on ... the shirts are Airing upstairs in what used to be HWMNBN's room

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 09:50:55 AM »
Having very little actual work to do, I've managed to get the top put together.

It's nothing special. I wanted to make do with what I'd got and not spend even more money on even more fabric.
The main thing though is that it's FLAT!  :meditate:

The backing and the binding will be the blue and white check.
I've got no wadding so it's going to have to wait in the quilt queue with all the others.  0_0

Sandra.
xxx

Celia

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 09:58:20 AM »
That looks nice @Sandra  I can see that sort of quilt with a fleece backing if you don’t want to use wadding, I am no expert and could be wrong but just a thought

SunnyWave

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 11:05:18 AM »
Good idea, would be interesting to see how it turns out

Sara-S

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 12:05:26 PM »
Excellent idea & good progress. What will be then finished size?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Sandra

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 12:33:46 PM »
As it is now, it's 54 inches long x 42 inches wide @Sara-S  I don't think it'll be much larger than that when I've finished with it.

I imagined I'd have liked a 2 inch wide border around it in the blue and white check but after roughly pinning a strip round the sides, I don't think I like it so might just put a narrow binding round instead.  :)

Sandra.
xxx

Sheilago

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 18:30:41 PM »
Lovely @Sandra . The slightly more complicated layout makes all the difference. Maybe your son will want it back, just to snuggle under on the sofa.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 21:04:22 PM by Sheilago »

Diane

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 20:31:33 PM »
Lovely @Diane. Maybe your son will want it back

@Sheilago I have a son  :scream:  :laughing: I think you mean Sandra
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Sheilago

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 21:03:19 PM »
@ Diane - oh no  :laughing:, wonder if Sandra would happily post the quilt!

I’ll change the entry!

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 23:12:37 PM »
That looks good, and I like the way you have alternated the direction of the red and white stripe.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sandra

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 19:43:14 PM »
It's done. I don't know what came over me to get it done this quickly.  0_0

Quilted it a couple of days ago with a simple diagonal across the squares, and then a straight line down the centre of the sashing, and then I bound it this morning. The size is still 54" x 42".

It's not gorgeous by any means and there's nothing special about it but it's perfectly usable. I've only used fabric which came from the original cover so there's been no added expense from buying any more.  :)

Sandra.
xxx