The Sewing Place

Stash buster self-drafted gilet

Vezelay

Stash buster self-drafted gilet
« on: January 10, 2022, 00:01:35 AM »
Two Christmases ago I made neck warmers for gifts, and the leftover polar fleece in several colours has been taking up sewing room space ever since. So I went out of my comfort zone and semi-cloned an old M&S gilet that's seen better days.

It has princess seams, in-seam pockets and a decent size collar - lots of fiddling about with the pattern, adjusting the fit, improvising, but in the end I got pretty much what I wanted. Best of all it's a better fit than the Simplicity pattern I used before, and and even than the M&S gilet. The inside is not a thing of beauty but only I will see that. Lining fabric inside pocket and grey sweatshirt fleece inside collar are from my scraps box (sorry, one of several scraps boxes :embarrassed:) and grey zip is from stash. It's only a simple vest, not exactly rocket science, but at least I stretched myself.

The pants are an Elle/Vogue mash-up in purple ponte - think I posted those a while back.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Cazlyn

Re: Stash buster self-drafted gilet
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 07:09:56 AM »
Fantastic job it looks great, I wish I could adapt patterns like that.
Crafting is my happy place

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 07:25:14 AM »
Super job @Vezelay  :thumb:
Still learning

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 08:10:20 AM »
A great job and so satisfying to use up scraps
Life's too short for ironing.

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 09:25:13 AM »
It looks great, and how satisfying to reduce stash so creatively.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 09:49:12 AM »
That looks great - scraps used up and it's keeping you warm.  :perfect10:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 10:20:28 AM »
@Vezelay that looks great. What your tip for keeping the zip flat down the front?

SunnyWave

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 10:27:53 AM »
It looks amazing! From the outside, it's very pretty and neat. And I love the color, so elegant plum

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 10:56:05 AM »
Great gilet - I love the idea that this was from scraps.  Very satisfying.  :thumb:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Vezelay

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 13:11:02 PM »
@Vezelay that looks great. What your tip for keeping the zip flat down the front?

@SewRuthieSews I iron the zip first (old Craftsy tip) and always attach the zip with wondertape before I sew. With jersey I additionally use half inch knit hem tape to stabilise the inside edge but this time I decided the fleece was thick enough. My first ever zip jacket from a few years ago (now used for gardening) has a rather wavy zip, but I probably didn't take any of these measures. I must say wondertape is a magic bullet for zips in general - this cheap knock off works for me.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 14:08:41 PM »
Great use of 'scraps'. 

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 14:24:37 PM »
Oh that’s wonderful @Vezelay  :perfect10:

You really are far more talented than you give yourself credit for!

An excellent use of leftovers.  :loveit:

annieeg

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2022, 14:31:41 PM »
Very, very  nice @Vezelay
Also very much appreciate the wondertape tip.  I found wondertape invaluable when I was making the oilcloth big tote bag before xmas, for fixing the position of the handles etc.  Great to have that cheaper alternative which I have now bought from Amazon :D