The Sewing Place

If and this is a big if I was to make a quilt

Celia

If and this is a big if I was to make a quilt
« on: January 10, 2022, 11:19:39 AM »
If I was thinking about a new quilt cover for the bottom of my bed, the old one is beginning to go thread bare in places and I don’t think will last through another wash, I need help in nowing where to start.

I now the theory and can do most of the process but I cannot choose fabrics, I don’t want to spend a lot of money only to find I don’t like it.  I am looking at some thing simple in the way off blocks, either squares or rectangles or even stripes put together.  How many different fabrics do I need to use?

Either that or a scrappy quilt but I don’t trust my own judgement in colours.

It’s odd because give me wool and I have no problem choosing colours or designs but fabric floors me.

Any ideas gratefully received

Bumblebuncher

Re: If and this is a big if I was to make a quilt
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 11:53:46 AM »
Not being facetious here...
Why don't you pretend to be making a quilt with knitted squares, choose the colours and then match the colours to fabric  :D
You just have your 'eye' in with wool, but the same goes with fabric.

BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 11:58:45 AM »
A fat quarter bundle is good if you are unsure of fabric colour mixes.
Life's too short for ironing.

Kad

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 12:15:52 PM »
@Celia

When I first stepped over into the dark side many years ago, it was suggested to me that, if you find a fabric that you like the colour scheme of, never mind the pattern, and then choose your fabrics according to the registration marks on the selvedge of that fabric, all the colour matching has been done for you. If you like the initial reference fabric that's a bonus but don't be put off if it's a floral print and you don't like florals, you're only using it as a starting point.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 12:16:28 PM »
As few as two fabrics on up to what seams like infinity.  (see what I did there...) I just watched a half square triangle quilt class on Craftsy. The quilt is lovely and uses 3 prints plus a plain background. The class is called "Half Square Triangle Quilt". You can watch the preview for free and see how effective those few colors are.

Half square triangles are really versatile and easy to sew. They are a great beginner block especially since they lend themselves to simple straight quilting lines.

Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 12:48:39 PM »
Buy a kit!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 13:22:02 PM »
Look at ( you don't have to buy them ) photos of precuts. They have a range of colours that go together.
You can choose complimentary colours, analagous colours or opposing colours from the colour spectrum.
Do you want hot or cold colours? I
The world is your lobster as Del Boy would say  :laughing:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 21:24:45 PM »
Look at what else you have in the room - curtains, cushions, carpet ... and choose fabrics in those colours.  A @Kad says it's the colour that matters not the printed design. 

In most instances it's easier to go with small-medium size prints in one main colour per fabric and it's the balance of lights and darks that make or break a design.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 11:31:27 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Celia

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 10:11:41 AM »
Thank you all for your suggestions I am still on the research side at the moment, I was thinking of something like https://youtu.be/mEROi6myQ9s.

I did do a very small quilt for my NDNs dog a few years ago like this.  I am also going to have a look for some other repetitive block quilts as I think I will get on better with that.

The colour needs to have some dark pink as that is the colour of the carpet, probably blue white and possibly purple are my other go to colours for this room.

Bjay

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 18:43:44 PM »
I chose a simple .Disappearing 9 patch block. It looks effective and only uses 4 fabric patterns. To help to blend fabrics togther I often get a paint chart and cut out the squares to see which

Look at this https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,12908.0.html
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Celia

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 22:02:02 PM »
@Bjay thst look really nice, I will look into that design tomorrow.

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 06:47:30 AM »
two D9P' quilts
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 07:56:37 AM »
I love doing Disappearing 9 patch. I  strip piece mine and cut the strips the width of the big ruler,  6". Sews together faster and improves my accuracy in matching points.  :thumb:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

realale

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2022, 09:26:03 AM »
Well, you've had me disappearing (!!) down the YouTube rabbit hole of disappearing nine patch. Don't think it's for me but I liked the scrappy quilt @Celia linked to.  :)
So many beers, so little time.

SunnyWave

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2022, 11:17:10 AM »