The Sewing Place

Crewel Work

Lowena

Crewel Work
« on: January 11, 2022, 16:23:24 PM »
Does anyone do this? I think I would like to give it a try but am unsure as to what bits of equipment, such as hoops and frames are essential.
Any tips on execution, suppliers, kits etc welcome
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

Re: Crewel Work
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 16:34:26 PM »
I do.  I have a large ongoing project that I sometimes work on in the evenings.  This is the kit that I have:

It's by Jane Rainbow and the wools are (I think) Appletons, both of which I rate highly.

I also made this much simpler cushion cover a few years ago - it has faded because it's been in the conservatory.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 16:38:28 PM »
wasn't there a thread on something like this recently .. with a selection of very nice kits?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 18:23:23 PM »
Yes and it was you @Iminei that started it here is a link. https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,13865.0.html

Thank you @Celia
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 06:48:40 AM by Iminei »

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 19:39:12 PM »
@Lowena it's been ages so I know nothing about current kits, etc. It's simple to do and relaxing. Supplies are simple and basic. Linen fabric, large embroidery needles sometimes actually sold as crewel needles, whatever size frame or hoop suits your project and wool crewel embroidery yarn. My 10 year old self did a fair bit of it as my mother did quite a lot of it.

I think you'll enjoy it.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 22:22:42 PM »
@Lowena I have literally just purchased  my first lot of crewel wool to have a go at the unicorn stocking that is a free download from the crewel work company.  I am also looking to have a go at something more exciting if all goes well with that!
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Sewbusy

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 08:04:04 AM »
@Lowena. Have you considered Tambour embroidery using a hook or there are many Indian embroidery patterns using an awl.

Using wool, embroidery, silk, metallic threads etc. It can be a much speedier process than crewel embroidery. Some excellent videos on youtube.

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 11:54:31 AM »
My kit from The Crewel Work Company has just arrived. I'm so pleased with the quality of the supplies....and the fact that they're made in the UK  :thumb:
I got their starter kit of hoops and tools as well as "Rabbits at Dawn" cushion front to start me off.
Just off to assemble the hoops but I can't begin the kit until I finish my Sashiko cushion as I can't have 2 things in the go at the same time

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2022, 11:58:50 AM »
That looks lovely!  I'm sure you will enjoy crewel work.   :thumb:

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2022, 12:30:29 PM »
Thank you @Acorn ...but....I've just read all the bumph and it looks bloody jolly complicated! :faints:
I've assembled the seat hoop and read the general instructions ( I always do, unlike OH) but must finish my  Sashiko this afternoon
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 12:32:24 PM by Lowena »

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2022, 12:32:02 PM »

@Sewbusy I must try Tambour work... Can you point me in the right direction please?

Sewbusy

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2022, 14:20:46 PM »
@Lowena I have to be honest and say it's not the easiest craft I've done and I'm still very much a  learner. I started with a little booklet 'Creating Coggeshall Lace' by Jean Dudding. This work is done on cotton bobbinet and there was a huge industry of cottage workers. As with so many forms of needlework produced by hand for centuries , machines took over and the lace became cheaper so the  skilled handwork's were priced out of the industry.

Aari needlework is very similar produced using the same type of hooks/needles but worked on woven fabrics.

Tambour requirements are a handle and hook. You insert a hook of the desired size depending on your chosen thread, fabric, finish etc. Using an embroidery frame or a slate frame.

I used to crochet a lot and there is a similarity in using the hooks but I does require practise (a lot) to master the rhythm  and tension to achieve but once you have done so, the work can be done very swiftly! I've not got round to trying it with beads yet, if I ever will. lol

You can find Tambour Hooks and needles and Aari Hooks for sale on Ebay now, when I wanted to buy my first ones it took a lot of searching to find supplies.  There are lots of excellent videos on Youtube which explain how to use the the needle correctly because until you can do that, you can't advance.

It's fascinating but definitely a skill where you have to persevere with the very basic needle use before you can advance . Ask me how I know?  However I'm persevering.

Hope this helps.

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2022, 12:08:36 PM »
My first effort.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2022, 12:11:38 PM »
My second project.
Much trickier but there are instructions....of a sort  :laughing:

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2022, 12:37:19 PM »
That's going to be gorgeous!   :thumb: