The Sewing Place

Sweden calling...

DrMike

Sweden calling...
« on: January 11, 2022, 17:34:47 PM »
Hi all!
Thank you to the admin for activating my account and hello to all sewists in the forum!
Obviously, I am new to the forum and also fairly new to sewing. Until recently my sewing has mostly consisted of simple mending and alterations of clothes. However, the latest season of the British Sewing Bee sparked my interest to sew some garments. My ultimate goal is to be able to sew my own shirts and possibly trousers. At Christmas, my family who knows from experience that I am an "all-in" kind of guy, presented me with a couple of shirtmaking books by David Coffin as well a book about sewing your own jeans by fellow Swede Johanna Lundström.

One may wonder, why sewing? In my case it is about a partial change of hobbies. I am in my late fifties and until now, woodworking has been my main spare-time interest. However, having been there, done that as far as woodworking is concerned, a move to an apartment where the noise, dust and space requirements makes woodworking rather impractical, have made me look for something else to keep my hands busy. Especially now, during the long winter evenings. Selling some of my chisels and planes have freed up enough money to purchase a sewing machine and I am now the proud owner of a Juki DX7. I hope it will serve me well. Until now I have sewn some tote-bags, dog coats and covers for different kitchen appliances.

Recently I was given an almost new-in-box Singer overlocker for free since the previous owner had never been able to use it successfully. It may not be the best quality, but with some tender loving care and thread-tension adjustments I can now sew quite nice three- and four-thread overlock stitches.

From my previous woodworking activities, I know how useful and inspiring a forum can be and from what I have read when browsing this forum it appears to be a very friendly and helpful one. I am looking forward to getting involved.

I have one question: I am looking for a source for this beautiful tartan fabric (picture below). To the best of my knowledge it is of British origin so any help with finding a source is much appreciated.

/Mike

« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 17:51:28 PM by DrMike »

Ohsewsimple

Re: Sweden calling...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 17:42:51 PM »
Welcome to TSP @DrMike
I’ve got David Coffin's shirt book too.  If you can get hold of his CD it’s easier to follow :)
But loads of great techniques in the book. 
You should find lots of advice and help on here. 

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 18:07:13 PM »
Wow that's a quantum leap from nothing to the Juki DX7 and an overlocker @DrMike I'm going to watch your progress with interest and probably envy.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Diane

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 18:19:09 PM »
Welcome @DrMike I look forward to seeing what you make
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 18:36:11 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too.
Still learning

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 18:37:04 PM »
Hello, good evening, and welcome from me too  :)

Cazlyn

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 18:41:20 PM »
Hi @DrMike and welcome.  This is a great place to be with lots of very knowledgeable people.
Crafting is my happy place

toileandtrouble

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 18:45:48 PM »
that is Clan McLeod tartan.  It will help to google that and specify if you want wool/cotton etc.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

DrMike

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 19:08:17 PM »
that is Clan McLeod tartan.  It will help to google that and specify if you want wool/cotton etc.
Thank you for the reply.
You may be right, but in all the pictures of Clan McLeod tartan that I have found there are nine small squares that are all black, "three black stryps upon ain yellow fylde". In my picture the squares are different shades of black and gray with the corner ones possibly yellow-brown. This and the rich, yellow base colour is what i like about the fabric in my picture.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 19:13:38 PM by DrMike »

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 19:23:45 PM »
Hello and welcome!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 19:30:21 PM »
Apologies, it seemed a good match in a small picture. Where did you see the original?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Helen M

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 19:37:42 PM »
Another 'Hello and welcome' @DrMike!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

StitchinTime

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 19:42:58 PM »
Welcome to TSP, @DrMike.

This website lists several yellow tartans, including quite a few variations on McLeod.
https://www.scotlandshop.com/tartan-finder/yellow#

Vezelay

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2022, 20:12:55 PM »
The price! :scream: plus postage. Goodness I hope you find what you want @DrMike. Warm welcome to the forum.

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2022, 20:47:53 PM »
Hi @DrMike welcome to TSP.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you will be making with that lovely Juki DX7.  If/when my old Husqvarna 350 dies I would like to be able to replace it with a Juki.

All tartan fabrics will have areas of bright colour where threads of the same colour cross each other and greyer areas where two different colours are crossing.  I'm not sure that the pic you posted is clan MacCloud tartan though as it's only yellow and black.  Clan MacCloud has a bit of red in it too.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.