The Sewing Place

Sweden calling...

Ouryve

Re: Sweden calling...
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2022, 20:52:32 PM »
Google lens took me to this which is <whispers> polyester https://fabricland.co.uk/product/tartan-suiting-fabric-yellow-stewart/  :[

I do apologise for the horror!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

realale

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2022, 20:54:28 PM »
Hello and welcome @DrMike . The David Coffin books are very good and his video teachings are thorough as well. Hope you enjoy sewing your first shirt. :)
So many beers, so little time.

Lachica

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2022, 20:59:35 PM »
Welcome @DrMike, I'm also looking forward to seeing what you make. Yellow plaid lumberjack shirt to start is ambitious. Since you have an overlocker you could start with cotton lycra jersey T shirt, which would be a bit more forgiving and a good start in understanding fabric engineering.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

DrMike

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2022, 21:13:20 PM »
Google lens took me to this which is <whispers> polyester https://fabricland.co.uk/product/tartan-suiting-fabric-yellow-stewart/  :[

I do apologise for the horror!

Thank you ever so much! You have made my day, or rather evening ;-)
Too bad it is polyester, but the price is right and since i like the pattern so much I will order some fabrc  in order to experiment with it.
/Mike

DrMike

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2022, 21:38:43 PM »
Hi @DrMike
 If/when my old Husqvarna 350 dies I would like to be able to replace it with a Juki.
Thank you for the welcome.
It so happens that during my childhood my parents and I lived very near the factory were the Husqvarna sewing machines were manufactured. Almost every family had a Husqvarna sewing machine and woe betide the person who dared to buy another brand.
The Huqvarna sewing machine trademark is nowadays owned by an European company, which also owns Pfaff. The Husqvarna sewing machines are still designed and developed in Huskvarna, but manufactured elsewhere, probably in some Asian country.
/Mike

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2022, 21:46:52 PM »
Made in China @DrMike :rolleyes:

Surest1tch

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2022, 22:19:12 PM »
Hi @DrMike welcome from me too, you could have a look at the following 2 links, perhaps they'll have something. Is it definitely a Scottish tartan, not Irish. I'm struggling with buffering on my computer today and can't get the links to open for Irish Tartan manufacturers so can't post them for you but if you Google them you may have more luck.

https://www.lochcarron.co.uk/tartan-fabric/page/5/show/36/
http://www.strathmorewoollen.co.uk/ (This one is showing something similar on the home page.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2022, 22:47:55 PM »
Welcome from me too @DrMike  :D
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Lilian

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2022, 23:03:42 PM »
Welcome to TSP @DrMike
Willing but not always able :)

BrendaP

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2022, 08:57:03 AM »

It so happens that during my childhood my parents and I lived very near the factory were the Husqvarna sewing machines were manufactured. Almost every family had a Husqvarna sewing machine and woe betide the person who dared to buy another brand.
The Huqvarna sewing machine trademark is nowadays owned by an European company, which also owns Pfaff. The Husqvarna sewing machines are still designed and developed in Huskvarna, but manufactured elsewhere, probably in some Asian country.
/Mike
@DrMike
Yes, Sadly Husqvarna went the same way as Singer - they both made excellent machines but now they are part of part of VSP = HusqvarnaViking-Singer-Pfaff.  Owned by ecconomists rather than engineers and made in Asia.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sheilago

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2022, 09:36:22 AM »
Hello,

Welcome to TSP! The link below might be of use. This company have a shop fairly near where I live and they are incredibly knowledgeable about tartan. I’m sure they would advise if you emailed them.

https://www.houseoftartan.co.uk/

Sewingsue

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2022, 13:38:13 PM »
@DrMike
Yes, Sadly Husqvarna went the same way as Singer - they both made excellent machines but now they are part of part of VSP = HusqvarnaViking-Singer-Pfaff.  Owned by ecconomists rather than engineers and made in Asia.
That is an incredibly sad sentence  :cry:
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2022, 14:32:26 PM »
I think one of the worst things Husqvarna did when it changed head honchos, in a move to save money,  was to stop making and supplying accessories like feet that didn’t come with your machine!   I mean, who thought that was a good idea??   :rolleyes:  You could buy a quilting machine but not necessarily order some of the quilting feet to go with it!

DrMike

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2022, 17:07:16 PM »
I think one of the worst things Husqvarna did when it changed head honchos, in a move to save money,  was to stop making and supplying accessories like feet that didn’t come with your machine!   I mean, who thought that was a good idea??   :rolleyes:  You could buy a quilting machine but not necessarily order some of the quilting feet to go with it!
It may differ between regions, but Husqvarna do have a quite substantial accessory catalogue with many different feet. Since I am a new forum user I do not think I am allowed to post links, but if you Google "HUSQVARNA® VIKING® 2021 Accessory User's Guide" you will find a pdf file (123 pages) with all the accesories available. Are the quilting feet that came with the sewing machine not available there? If so, you can provide me with a part number or a picture of the foot needed. I have a Husqvarna dealer in the neighbourhood that I can contact.
/Mike
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 17:15:38 PM by DrMike »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2022, 18:01:50 PM »
Yes I’m aware they do @DrMike.  And they have a fabulous selection of feet and accessories.  I have 2 Husqvarnas and loads of extras. 
However I used to work for a dealer and this is what we were told when we couldn’t get hold of stuff. 
It led to some very heated phone calls from my boss!   After all, how do you explain that to a customer?   :thinking:
I don’t think this idea lasted long as I’m sure dealers probably stopped selling their machines in preference to other makes where the customer service is a lot better! 

BTW Thanks for your offer.  I personally have a large box with just about every foot going I think.  My machine used to belong to my boss.   :)