The Sewing Place

Piping

Acorn

Piping
« on: January 12, 2022, 13:03:46 PM »
Do you think it will work if I make piping from this cotton twill tape?

It's for my sewing machine cover, and it will have to go around some short, tight curves.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SewRuthieSews

Re: Piping
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 13:16:21 PM »
I think the cover for piping is best made from something cut on the bias for going around corners. It is not like binding a quilt where strips cut on the grain are OK.

I've used the same fabric as for the item, and cut strips diagonally on my cutting board with the rotary cutter then stitched them together into a long strip. Then put the cord inside and stitched it down, and then sewed it into the cushion cover (or whatever).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 13:18:19 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Flobear

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 13:17:18 PM »
I have to say, it doesn't look ideal @Acorn - unless you don't mind some gathered-looking corners/curves. Hard to be 100% certain, though, when you can't handle the stuff.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 13:39:28 PM »
@SewRuthieSews That's what I'd normally do, but I don't have enough fabric, and this is heavy weight cotton, so I think ordinary bias binding might not seem right.   -<

@Flobear I think I might have to either mock-up a corner to test it, or decide not to pipe.  Putting the piping cord in and bending it, it seems OK, but that's really not enough to know.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 14:17:08 PM »
Well, who'd have thunk it!!  Forgive the unsmooth curve - it was just for testing!

Front:
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Back:
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 14:18:18 PM »
You might get away with it by clipping into it for the curves, but would it fray much?

Flobear

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 14:25:41 PM »
Ooh! Maybe the chevron-ness is making it curvier than expected  :thumb:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 14:35:22 PM »
Was going to suggest a mock up.  This stuff has some give.  Think you answered your own question! :thumb: