The Sewing Place

Clothing and wardrobe organisation/sorting out

Bumblebuncher

Re: Clothing and wardrobe organisation/sorting out
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2022, 11:11:48 AM »
After losing quite a bit of weight my original wardrobe was completely thrown away last year and a new one started.  Unfortunately everything I bought was new and therefore would be considered 'the good stuff'
I was wearing old, way too big, things to work.
Then one day I questioned why.  Had another clear out, even threw away newish stuff I didn't like.  Wore new but not exciting stuff to work lol
Now when I get up and think about what to wear, it is never just a throw it on situation.
What are you saving your nice clothes for?  If/when we get to need nice clothes again for more than a quick burger down the pub, there is an excuse to make/buy something new for the event  :D
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Helen M

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2022, 11:36:04 AM »
I'll second @SunnyWave's suggestion about jeans if you like them @SewRuthieSews. I have 'going out' jeans and 'hanging around' jeans. Get a pair that are comfy and you feel good in, even spend a little more than usual on your good pair as you can dress them up with a nice top or a good sweater and some ankle boots. I could live in ankle boots for most of the year in various colours and fabrics!

Something else I do is put away anything that is still good and really like but is perhaps not the colour that goes with what you are currently wearing. I have a few M&S rib polo neck sweaters that they used to put out year on year but colours come and go. They are what I call staples and a few years later the same colour comes round again and it 'feels' right to wear again. I like to give a nod to what is current even if it's just one thing per season. I do it with other items too and this year I've reaped the benefit of some wider leg trousers that didn't look right in the last few years and have made a few minor alterations to.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Helen M

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2022, 11:53:04 AM »
Just a PS to the above, I've started to put put away a few colours that 'shout' a particular season. I'm about to fold up 2 red sweaters that I usually like to wear in the run up to Christmas but for some reason only wore them once this year. That's over with now and even though I like red and it's one of 'my' colours it didn't ring bells for me this year. Time to rotate something else into the wardrobe!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2022, 14:04:48 PM »
I own three pairs of jeans which fit (as in I can get them on and they look okay) but I don't find them very comfortable, in particular the front waistband seems to cut in.

I have put up a rail, though need to decide where it would be most practical to have it, and will start to hang things on it to see if they get to stay or not.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2022, 15:31:47 PM »
OK the rail is up in the bedroom, following a bit of rearrangement.
I'm going to start hanging things on it which I've not worn recently, and then try them and decide to keep (and put in wardrobe) or donate.
Hopefully if it is out on view that'll help me make some decisions.

Celia

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2022, 15:50:04 PM »
@b15erk i could have written your post.

It’s all very well saying we should wear our nice clothes but I just don’t feel comfortable wearing smart dresses and skirts etc around the house especially with tights, for one thin I have a cat that loves to sit on my lap and climb up around my neck, also I am fairly active around the house usually climbing in an attic or crawling on the floor at some time during the day.

I tend to wear thick M&S cord leggings and a jumper for 3/4 of the year summer being the exception.  I think this year I am going to make a few summer dresses with the idea I will wear them at home so they need to be cat proof and very washable.  Bet I end up with long tops and leggings again. :laughing:

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2022, 17:03:01 PM »
I've emptied out that last bag of clothes and filled the rail up.

I have a few pairs of leggings which I used to wear under dresses and some I've bought but never worn.
What's so great about leggings? And what can you wear them with?
I have large upper legs so wearing leggings with tops isn't that great.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2022, 17:11:35 PM »
Are dresses just restricted to 'posh' wear?  I wear leggings under tunics and dresses.  It makes a dress seem more wearable on a normal day if you aren't worrying about it blowing up or being too cold and no worries about ladders in tights.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2022, 17:22:14 PM »
@Bumblebuncher I have smart dresses with events but also some lower key jersey dresses. So have just assembled an outfit for tomorrow - burgundy A line jersey dress, darker burgundy leggings and a burgundy marl jersey cardigan.
Looks like it'll be comfortable, but has no pockets anywhere.

realale

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2022, 17:51:04 PM »
I wish you lots of success with finding your style @SewRuthieSews.
When we lived at the pub I dressed 'nicely' every day as I was constantly on show and I find I still dress as if someone will see me, even if I stay home all day.
I find it really difficult to get rid of clothes, especially self made ones. I was brought up in the 50s and 60s and we just didn't have a lot of clothes - and those we did have we wore until we outgrew them or they fell apart from over use. My parents were also of the generation where you kept everything to either re-use or mend and I still have that mind set to a certain degree. I'm getting better but it's still difficult to throw away anything that may have some 'life' left in it!!
One year I kept a clothes diary. I recorded each day what I wore, how I felt about it and if I wished there was something different I could have added to it (eg needed a cardigan but didn't have one etc). I found that extremely useful and it guided my clothes making/purchase for a long time afterwards. In fact I think that is how I developed my current style of clothing. Not a quick fix but very useful!  :)
So many beers, so little time.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2022, 18:47:22 PM »
That's a great idea @realale

mudcat

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2022, 21:38:05 PM »
For me leggings take the place of hosiery which I do not wear and will never wear again.  I wear them under dresses in the cooler months to keep my legs warm and more recently with a knit shirt and super long sweater cardigan.  I rarely wear them in public though.  At most under a longer dress with ankle boots in the winter.

More recently I'm making leggings for my workouts because my older workout pants are losing elasticity and also I find the wider legs awkward when I'm doing YouTube core strengthening exercises with a lot of leg movement. Leggings work much better.

Ellabella

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2022, 22:49:32 PM »
I’ve just looked at the website @Missie suggested and decided to do their Body Type calculator, I am a SPOON!  I always thought I was an Apple, I’ve never heard of a spoon.

Now off to cry quietly somewhere, who the heck wants to look like a spoon :facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 00:24:40 AM by Ellabella »

Greybird

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2022, 23:13:10 PM »
@Missie I did have a look at the website you mentioned, but it drove me potty - every time I was trying to read something, ads kept popping in front of it. I removed one of them 5 times and in spite of them promising not to show it again, it kept coming back. I abandoned it in the end. Shame because it looked interesting.

Lachica

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2022, 23:58:24 PM »
I did the style quiz that @Missie suggested and it was spot on apart from colours.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.