The Sewing Place

Clothing and wardrobe organisation/sorting out

SewRuthieSews

Re: Clothing and wardrobe organisation/sorting out
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2022, 09:11:40 AM »
I own three pairs of jeans which fit (as in I can get them on and they look okay) but I don't find them very comfortable, in particular the front waistband seems to cut in.

I've been thinking about jeans (and other trousers which have the same cutting the tummy problem) and came across this post from Gillian from Crafting a Rainbow
https://craftingarainbow.com/2018/07/20/how-to-give-any-stretch-pants-an-elastic-waistband/
So I could sew myself some jeans with an elastic waist. (or potentially hack my existing RTW jeans to have an elastic waist).

I have a full derriere and sway back, plus a tummy so RTW can be difficult!

Lachica

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2022, 09:34:20 AM »
After seeing @Ploshkin entry for the 3pac, I've ordered a jeans pattern. My latest rtw jeans fall down as getting them big enough for my waist means the hips are too big. I plan to spend time getting the fit right & remember to save the changes so hopefully subsequent pairs will be quicker.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2022, 09:41:07 AM »

Jeans with pull on waist from Reitmans via Crafting a Rainbow - not me!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 10:52:14 AM by SewRuthieSews »

toileandtrouble

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2022, 09:53:38 AM »
@SewRuthieSews  I have a tummy too (doesn't everyone?)  I need to add a little to the front height or the waistband gets pulled down at the front, effectively making it shorter, so it digs in. those jeans look good but seem to go down, very slightly. Am I right?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Iminei

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2022, 10:04:59 AM »
@Lachica  Kenneth Kings jeans tutorial on Craftsy is (apparently) the Bees Knees ...

I purchased it yeas and years ago when my beloved jeans fell apart and I was hoping to replicate them ... Did I ???  :laughing:

If I knew how I would transfer it to you but ?? beyond my Ken ... (see what I did there???)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2022, 10:53:45 AM »
@toileandtrouble - that's a picture from a website of a model wearing some pull on jeans - but is not me.
If I looked that good in jeans I would be delighted!

I'm just exploring the whole idea of pull on jeans to see if they might work for me.

BrendaP

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2022, 10:58:30 AM »
I find it really difficult to get rid of clothes, especially self made ones. I was brought up in the 50s and 60s and we just didn't have a lot of clothes - and those we did have we wore until we outgrew them or they fell apart from over use.
@realale
Same here, but I really should have a wardrobe cull.  There is so much in there that everything comes out creased even though it's been ironed :o

One year I kept a clothes diary. I recorded each day what I wore, how I felt about it and if I wished there was something different I could have added to it (eg needed a cardigan but didn't have one etc). I found that extremely useful and it guided my clothes making/purchase for a long time afterwards. In fact I think that is how I developed my current style of clothing. Not a quick fix but very useful!  :)

That sounds to be a good strategy but I know I'm not a diary person.  Maybe what I should do is look at at anything I get out to wear and then put back again for whatever reason.
If it's looking shabby - OUT
If it's too tight - OUT
If the colour is wrong look at what else is there.

On the whole I am confident about colours and I know what I like; bright and cheerful pinks, purples, blues and greens, but the neutral basics are needed too.  I read once that 90% of spotaneous compliments are because the colour is right - so that's the pink hair for ever!

I have been looking at the website @Missie posted.  I already wear all the styles suggested for large tummies  :thumb: but then I tried the style quiz and it all went pear shaped when they started asking about 'celebrities' and films. 

Off now to see what else I can get rid of.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2022, 11:00:18 AM »
@SewRuthieSews Have you tried jeggings?  Most are basically stretch denim jeans with an elasticated waist - as long as you don't go for the skinny ones, which are pretty much painted on!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 11:16:57 AM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lachica

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2022, 11:03:29 AM »
@Iminei thanks for the offer. I think since you paid for it it will be copy-protected. I have made jeans before, by copying a pair that fit, and have kept my good-fit-but-now-worn-out ones, intending to take them apart. Not fancying the disassembly but will compare their measurements with those of the pattern first.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Celia

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2022, 12:10:36 PM »
These are my fav jeans/leggings I have several pairs and usually wear these when I go out https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/women-ultra-stretch-high-rise-leggings-trousers-445292.html
But I do have to buy them ex large and I am not that big. I wear a lot of boots so I need the ankles to be narrow or they don’t work.

These are my go to leggings, I would make them but the material is hard to find and would cost more https://www.marksandspencer.com/cord-high-waisted-leggings/p/clp60505858

I have also made lots of ponti Roma pants but they don’t stand up to the amount of wear I give them running around the house. I do still have them for smart going out wear, which of course I don’t do  :laughing:

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2022, 12:19:33 PM »
I have just remembered a method I read about which only works if you can hang everything on a rail.  You put everything with the hanger facing one way, then when you wear it you put the hanger the other.  After 6 months you have a look at what is hanging the original way as they are things you don't wear! Same as a diary, but different.
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

LeilaMay

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2022, 12:45:47 PM »
I so don't have the figure for leggings, so I'm a boot-cut jeans kind of girl. I bought some from LandsEnd in black, and they are my 'go to' right now.
It's partly about what looks good on your body though, not what looks good on a hanger.
(Like that dress in the charity shop - great colour, loved the look of it. Felt like "Little House on the Prairie" when I had it on LOL)
So you do have to try stuff on, and be very honest with yourself.And these categories can change as we get older, or have bodily changes, so always worth a double-check.

Boppingbeth

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2022, 23:18:32 PM »
Joining you on the massive wardrobe clear out.  I went through the dresser today and got rid of a lot of never wear these items.  Some went because they are too big.  Some went because the fabric is uncomfortable to wear (too cold, too scratchy).  Some went because I could not get the perfume out of the item even after several washes.  Some went because they no longer fit my current body shape—either they are too structured in the waist, or they were too oversized for my body.  And a few went because I just never wore them because of a style detail.  The one that was hard was my white eyelet mandarine collar blouse—yep, liked it but it was too ‘closed’ and my style is more ‘Y’ shape—open or draped on top. Big horizontal stripes was another detail that went, along with the open shoulder sweater that I could not bring myself to wear even though it was flattering.  Fewer pieces are there, but they are things I wear now.  I will probably do another round of clear out in a month after I have worked my way through the Curated Closet. 

mudcat

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2022, 23:49:53 PM »
A lot of people on PR were happy with the Jalie Eleanor pullon jeans. There are dozens of reviews.
https://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/73380

I made a test pair but they weren't even close to fitting right for me and I never did get around to tweaking them. Maybe someday.   I also have a StyleArc pattern (Georgie I think it is) that is a pullon style of jean pant.  Haven't even attempted that. 

The only time I ever had well fitting RTW jeans was during the skinny jeans era because my legs are so slender those fit me like regular jeans while regular jeans were always too baggy looking. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 23:51:53 PM by mudcat »

Gernella

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2022, 11:11:12 AM »
I spend most of my time in skirt and top, mostly denim skirts, as I have the same problem as @Celia a cat that goes outside, comes in at the moment with wet paws and puts them all over me, which generally do fade into the denim.  I don't wear trousers, never have done since around the 70's, when I practically lived in them in my 'spare' time, which was actually working with DH, who had around 3 acres of strawberries to manage in his and my spare time.   After that stint I said I said I'd neve wear them again, plus DH doesn't like them and I'm a shortie, best on long legs not short squatty ones.

I sometimes wish I was more adventurous but it is so easy to just change a skirt if we are going out.  I've dresses I rarely wear unless it is an 'occasion' in which case the Spanx comes out, although last time I had that on, it had got loose.  In general, most of the places we went in pre Covid times were for casual wear.  The only thing I really spent money on was nice shoes (comfortable ones).  Other than underwear/tights, I've made the rest including the jackets.

I did a cull when I put summer stuff away, including odd items that were fine but I'd gone off the colour.  But at least I'm not like my sister, who does carry a bit of weight but lives in trousers of different varieties and shirts, regardless of the occasion, causing DH to question whether she ever gets dressed up.

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included