The Sewing Place

Start of a marathon reorganisation - Sewing room

Gernella

Start of a marathon reorganisation - Sewing room
« on: January 13, 2022, 16:47:51 PM »
Today was the start of the 'hard stuff' accumulated over 30 years and stuffed away.  I did the  bottom of the drawers to the desk yesterday.  Today was pulling it out from under the desk and emptying the corner which had all sorts hidden out of sight.

In around 20 minutes I was surrounded by that much junk I thought it would never end, including 6 150watt bulbs.  I think I wanted 1 and 6 came off Ebay.  I've left them under, DH will freak out at 150 watt. I found two old cameras from around 2006, an old Nokia phone that I can't remember buying, two camera bags, one quite nice as well.  Loads of old software, three pc keyboards, two the same, 15inch monitor. :facepalm: 

When we had the kitchen retiled I bought a collapsible crate to pile things in and put in the dining room.  I've filled that with the stuff I want to keep, ready to put in my Bernina overlocker box, it's a big one. I need a larger box for recycling as well, it's full now.

I'm nowhere near finished but at least it won't frighten my when I go back in tomorrow. Date is  wrong on pictures because I had the battery out of one of the cameras and it's gone back to the date it was brought out.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

SewRuthieSews

Re: Start of a marathon reorganisation - Sewing room
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 16:59:58 PM »
Well done @Gernella.
Very wise to leave things tidy so as not to scare yourself the next time you go in the sewing room

Flobear

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 17:22:53 PM »
A great start @Gernella  :thumb:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 17:45:27 PM »
 :faints:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 18:47:56 PM »
If you get bored @Gernella  you can make a start on mine - I won't mind , I promise. :laughing:

Great job!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 20:43:28 PM »
Well I've found a home for the cameras and the mobile phone if I can find the box (probably downstairs in a drawer), going to Northern Siamese  Rescue for their April charity stall.  She might take the other bits as well even if no box. 

Long way to go yet before I get to the demolition job and I've not brought that up yet.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

mudcat

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 21:02:27 PM »
Oh, wow. My sewing table is L shaped and because of the the longer side is about a foot away from the wall because of the window.  But I also have my last two iMacs behind the desk because I need to get them "cleaned" so I can take them to the electronics recycling place.  I also still have all of my prior cell phones which also need to be sent there.  And an old 35mm camera that I haven't used in probably 30 years or more but it was my high school graduation present from my dad and I have a sentimental attachment to it still.  I'm thinking to get rid of it though.  Out of sight out of mind.

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 10:46:55 AM »
The idea is to get rid of the table with desktop pc on, which is the longest, and put the other one in its place @mudcat  The original plan was to get rid of both and use a small pc workstation we have downstairs.  Then I though easier to keep and decide later than to get rid of and realise I needed it.

They are too wide to go through the door (built in situ), so the other end of the room needs to be cleared on one side, the smaller one shunted forward to leave room for the other to come out.  Shunt that back to the far wall end and demolish the longer one in the room.  There was originally a piece that joined the two together but I took that off years ago.  I can tell you that even that little piece is flipping heavy and now I'm 12 years older :S

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 16:42:21 PM »
I've had an absolutely rubbish afternoon. The mobile phone I promised disappeared, in a safe place, one of the cameras I couldn't find the bits and pieces for it and the other couldn't find the very thick manual.  The the little Asus netbook I was getting rid of refused to co-operate on the updates.  Last time I'd had it out I'd reinstalled but probably got fed up and left it.

By the time I'd finished I'd got rid of a bit of paper, shredded other paper, put the camera boxes in a safe place, everything else in the junk bin.  I found the phone, on top of lining storage, found a charger that fits but it has refused to come on.

I can't believe how much junk I have accumulated, why the heck didn't I get rid once I'd moved on to something else. :headbang:

Came downstairs to see Omicron variants happening and got very grumpy with myself.  DH has been outside all afternoon cutting branches out the way to get to Christmas tree and now he's making my dinner.  He's a lovely man <3
He was going to a funeral in the village of one of his old girlfriends, I think he forgot, and I've only just thought about it.

Ann

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 16:55:44 PM »
You have done a great job in that area @Gernella. I'm sure you will keep going and be thrilled with the improvement.

I am cleaning out my sewing room also. It looks like a bomb went off in it. I am working on interfacing right now and will do some on it after I finish lunch. I am shocked at two things:

• How much fabric I've sewn in the past 3 years
  • How much I've let accumulate in the sewing room since I purged to move across Canada 4 years ago

With the interfacing, I'm going to trash some of the smaller pieces and keep the larger one, trash the interfacing I don't use, and fold what I use neatly and put on the bottom shelf with the small amount of quilt batting I have. I need to make sure I don't buy interfacing until I run out of what I'm using. I've been horrible about seeing the interfacing I like and buying several meters of it if it is on sale.

I have a piece of black fusible fleece. If there is enough to do a bag, I will keep it. If not I'm not sure what I can think to use if for. I've been thinking for a while on this. I got it when it was discontinued 4.5 years ago while doing inventory in a fabric store (Hangs head in shame).

Here's hoping you have a successful time organizing more in your sewing room.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 22:23:02 PM »
Actual sewing stuff I'm not too bad on @Ann I cut down a bit on fabric buying last year but I did make quite a bit and some of the old stuff is ready for the rag bag.  I do go a bit mad with thread sometimes but I think I might have reached full in that department.

I think I'd got into the habit of keeping stuff because it just might come in handy in the future. Very bad move :S  worse still I've stuffed it out of sight, even worse move.

This is going to take time, so I'd better concentrate on the things I can do myself.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 23:42:39 PM »
@Ann  I find I can't identify those special interfacing and things after a while, especially when I need to use them. I've started putting them neatly folded, into ziplock bags with a note to tell me what they are.  (If anything happens to me and someone else has to empty my room, it will tell them what they are!)
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

datcat23

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 21:29:08 PM »
Changing patterns of a lifetime takes time, but you are doing so well.   Doing the furniture shuffle is sometimes harder than if you just emptied the entire room, and started from an empty shell, but only do that if you really feel up to it.  Keep your mind on the result ....... a wonderful space to create in.  You will get there.   :dance:
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2022, 16:33:38 PM »
I've had a really crap afternoon.  It was the easy bit, under the table on two machines.  Just started and DH wanted some printing doing, if I could!  Desktop is aging, slow, thinks a lot, printer not much better but it's a colour laser so I want to keep as long as possible. 30 minutes later it was ready although I had managed to do a double side print, which it's not supposed to do.

By the time I'd hauled everything out I was ready for mint tea.  I really wanted to take a picture of the chaos but the upstairs camera had a flat battery.  I've rid myself of three baskets.  One thing I couldn't part with is a skirt I made when I had a 25" waist, how could I :boohoo:  If it had fitted it was still good enough to wear.

I've outed a box of black and white overlocker threads, which I think are Frister Rossman  threads including some white that are  rather large, I wasn't paying attention. Also some Gutermann Toldilock in a pale green and cornflower blue (one which I have used).  I think there are three of each so I'm just keeping one of each.  When I've got some pictures I'll put them up in the relevant section, postage only.  Lots of scraps gone as well, the blue Ikea bag in the front porch is full.

I'll try to find homes for the baskets but then I can start sewing again, I can't do anything more until the game of Pickfords starts and the man of the house needs a bit of brainwashing before then.

In my head I've decided how it can be done.  Easy in your head, isn't it :laughing: