The Sewing Place

Bernina 900 Nova

Roger

Bernina 900 Nova
« on: June 11, 2017, 00:38:21 AM »
Hi All,

been a lot going on lately and my sewing time (Forum chatting time and purchasing) has suffered...

I've been trying to get my Bernina 900 going but its acting up, when you hand turn without fabric it its smooth as glass and there no sound of anything catching or clipping. When you hand turn it with fabric it'll do 4-5 stitches then it starts to stiffen and wont penetrate the fabric, check the fabric and the stitch balance is OK, for the first few stitches then birds nests on the back, I havent really encountered this combination, and it doesnt feel or sound like a timing issue.

Any Ideas?

Thank you!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Swisslass

Re: Bernina 900 Nova
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 09:30:46 AM »
Have you asked Arrow?
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 16:34:53 PM »
Sounds like it might be a thread issue - does it feed the  fabric smoothly if there's no thread in the needle and the bobbin?

Might be a threading mistake or  needle threaded from wrong side are my first thoughts, but I am no expert.

Good luck with it and good to see you back 

Maximum

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 16:36:17 PM »
That's an odd one! Assume you have changed needles to check. Have you tried fabric but no thread? Do you have another bobbin to try? Different thread or spool turned over so thread is drawn in the opposite direction.
As you have gathered I have no clue, just throwing ideas out to hopefully get a handle on what is happening.
I'm sure you will work it out but please let us know what it was as it's all useful knowledge
While I was trying to get this to send LeilaMay has also suggested some similar thoughts!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 16:39:48 PM by Maximum »

Lyn-J

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 16:52:09 PM »
Re-thread and try again ???
(sorry - a bit like saying close all the windows)

My guess would be the bobbin case is not quite inserted properly.
make sure the threads are towards the back of the work when starting to sew

arrow

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 17:15:14 PM »
You have had the top of the freearm off, cleaned, checked everything and oiled? The same goes for parts under the top lid and the face plate.  On the odd case thread can become caught inbetween the hand wheel, I don't think this model particularly is prone to it, but worth checking.

Roger

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 23:58:26 PM »
Thanks All,

Thats some interesting options; I hadn't considered the bobbin might be wrong and I hadnt thought about feeding without thread, plenty to work through. Threading this model isn't the easiest, the instructions for threading aren't included in the manual, but theres some good videos on youtube.

I've given it a good clean through, ( had to do ebaying tonight... having a clear out of some spares )

Ill run some more tests and let you know how I get on

Thanks again

Roger
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 23:43:36 PM by Roger »
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 00:17:04 AM »
Threading is very similar on all the vintage Berninas, those I have seen at least. On the Nova you place the spool in the back and follow the thread route, the top tension is a groove in the top of the machine, then down to the hook shaped thread guide, and up to the take up lever; then towards the needle. The needle goes in flat side toward the back and threads front to back. It's not possible to insert the needle any other way on these; but make sure you use regular 705 needles, and correct bobbins (flat sides and usually has a BB embossed in the metal some where). I think the bobbin case has the BB stamp too. It's very much like the 730 and 830, same bobbins and bobbin case.

For the stuck part, turn the hand wheel, inspect all moving parts for anything unusual; piece of thread, a broken off needle tip, I'm sure you have cleaned under the feed dogs and bobbin case by now. The 900 Nova was once a popular portable, and there's quite a bit of help to be found on the web.

I can't remember if it's totally idiotproof when it comes to settings, if needle position and stitch width are way off you might hit something with the needle down there, either needle plate or some part down there. It's safe to have the needle in the middle position, and probably a must for twin needles.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 00:29:26 AM by arrow »

Lyn-J

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 08:08:16 AM »
Threading this model isn't the easiest, the instructions for threading aren't included in the manual,
:o :o :o
try look at a manual for one of the other machines
link

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 10:04:57 AM »
Roger, my Pfaff does this, if I have missed a thread point, or the thread has jumped out of a guide.

Hope you manage to sort it.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 11:09:42 AM »
I am late to this thread (sorry), and I don't have a Nova but I have run into this issue in the past with both my Bernina 910 and 930 when I have not pressed the hook/race cover back down firmly enough after cleaning/lubing the hook/race... there is a little catch on the left and it is very springy and I find I really have to press it back hard to make it 'click' soundly. Sometimes I have pressed it back, though it was ok, and then I have had serious thread tangle around the bobbin case and hook, because the hook has slipped out of position ever so slightly... although the machine makes a stitch, the thread is not completely 'released' from the hook, but instead tangles around the hook/bobbin mechanism, and then the machine makes another stitch, and so on, until after 3-4 stitches you get a thread jam as the tangle intensifies underneath and the needle will no longer move, and instead jams solidly in your fabric.

Then I have had to first unscrew the needle and let it hang loose, release the bobbin cover plate and snip carefully at the threads I can see in order to begin to release the stuck bobbin mechanism. After you have snipped enough thread you can then lift the needle up and out. With more snipping of remaining tangled threads the bobbin should be freed too. Then I get the tweezers out and make sure I've removed all of the bits of snipped thread.

Many moons ago it happened with my 807 and I knocked the timing out completely trying to yank the bobbin case out, thread tangles and all  :S, so these days if it happens I carefully snip and try to be gentle. Plus I'd check the hook 'point' is sharp too, and not flattened or twisted, as can happen if they are dropped.

My Bernina 807 used to make thread nests on the underside at the start of seams when I had put the bobbin into the bobbin case with the thread running anticlockwise  :S, rather than clockwise as it ought to be (as you look down on the bobbin in the case). 

Best of luck with sorting it out  :D

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:21:18 AM by Madame Cholet »

Roger

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 17:29:29 PM »
Thanks all, I think its something up with the bobbin, so I've decided I don't trust the bobbin that came with it and asked Helen if she has any suitable... fingers crossed, the one it cam with isn't in a good state. so i figure a new bobbin, with fresh thread, and a good check around the bobbin area are good places to start!