The Sewing Place

Questions about silk

toileandtrouble

Questions about silk
« on: January 14, 2022, 09:01:07 AM »
Do you prewash silk?  I have a couple of remnants I want to make up but I don't know if they will shrink or distort. Any tips for cutting out?
Impulse buys.  They just look so beautiful.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

b15erk

Re: Questions about silk
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 09:16:42 AM »
I would handwash them, simply to see how they behave after washing.  Most of the silk I have is very happy to be washed, but I've noticed that a few tops have faded a little.

If you need to wash them after you have sewn them up, it's probably wise to wash before too.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 09:23:33 AM »
If I'm not sure about pre-washing, I cut a piece exactly 10cm or 20cm square (depending on how much you have) and wash that. You'll know if the  colour runs and measuring afterwards will tell you if it shrinks.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 09:33:39 AM »
this is the advice The Silk Route give, a company i have bought silk from. However i have washed the fabric i got from them, initially a hand wash using a bar of natural soap but then the dress got mixed up with some other stuff and ended up in the machine on a wool wash. It washed ok. I wouldn't wash on a high temp or high spin and try not to wring the fabric out, it damages the threads.
I would do a colour test first, wet a small corner of the fabric and squeeze it between some white cloth (tea towel, towel etc.) if there is any residue of colour on the white cloth then it will not be colour fast.
Contact the company you bought it from because the roll of fabric should have a care label with it.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

SunnyWave

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 11:08:00 AM »
If I'm not sure about pre-washing, I cut a piece exactly 10cm or 20cm square (depending on how much you have) and wash that. You'll know if the  colour runs and measuring afterwards will tell you if it shrinks.

thanks for sharing, that's actually a great idea!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 13:32:56 PM »
Are you going to be washing the item after?   If so I’d wash it first same as all fabric but as @sewmuchmore says. 
I have several tops made from silk and they all wash fine.  But it does depend on the type of silk.  Silk dupion doesnt maintain its crisp hand if washed.  Just depends on what effect you are after too. 

mudcat

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 15:04:26 PM »
I gentle wash line dry them. From what I've read silks are best washed with warm water which is what I do.  Silk handles washing well for the most part.  The biggest problem is the dye in my experience.  They tend to bleed dye especially if they are cheap.  So wash separately or with like colors.  I prefer not to dry clean so I take the risk with washing.  Sometimes the hand of the fabric will change.

The only exception I'd make is with a fancy expensive silk.  I have some floral jacquard that I bought in Italy years ago and it was the most expensive fabric I've ever bought so I would dry clean that one.  It probably wouldn't fade since it's a pale color but I'd be afraid the hand would change too much.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 16:49:49 PM »
Re cutting out; Single layer fabric. I use weights (mine are self made fabric pyramid type) and a rotary cutter. For smaller areas I use my serrated edge Ginghers.

realale

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 18:07:15 PM »
I do something similar. I cut two identical pieces of fabric and then wash just one. It's so easy to compare afterwards!!

Years ago, when I was first starting my sewing journey, I made a Vogue pattern summer dress from silk and loved it. I washed it and it shrank so much I couldn't wear it again!! Lesson learnt. It really depends on what you want to use the silk for and what type of silk it is. For crafts I don't prewash, for garments I always do.
So many beers, so little time.

Flobear

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2022, 14:50:26 PM »
I'm tagging on here because it seems pointless starting a separate thread for my thread query   :)
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Years ago I inherited a large spool of very slippery silky thread. Probably sent in by a parent when my class was doing some sewing. I've re-discovered it and wonder what, if anything, I could use it for. It slides off the spool at the drop of a hat hence the plastic tube stuck in one end. I burnt a piece of it to try and ascertain the fibre content. It burned easily, being so thin, and was almost entirely consumed with a tiny amount of ash left over. Definitely no beading and I couldn't smell anything but it was a tiny sample.

I'm guessing it's silk and would gladly let someone have it if it's for machine embroidery or anything like that.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2022, 15:53:41 PM »
A spool of silk like that is best used for embroidery or for lacemaking.  If it's of a suitable thickness it could be used for machine sewing but you would have to experiment with the tension settings and be careful that it doesn't jerk and allow the slippery thread to start unwinding - as shown in the photo.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2022, 17:12:06 PM »
@Flobear   I think it might be rayon. Can't tell from the photo how thick it might be, but spools like that used to be sold for machine knitting. It was very heavy but used for a couple of rows here and there or for an edging it was really nice. I remember though, going to a  m/knitting convention and a lady had knitted a whole 2 piece skirt suit in it and obviously worn it for the first time that day. It started off knee length but by the end of the day it had stretched so much that she was having to lift the skirt in order to walk.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 18:42:13 PM »
I think it might be rayon too.  I thank I’ve got something like that that I got from my mum or Nan from the factory they worked in. 
Real silk doesn’t generally burn but smoulders.

Flobear

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 19:41:17 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts, ladies.
It's barely thicker than my Gutermann polyester thread, def. not as thick as button thread.
Will have to check how to test for Rayon.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2022, 19:44:17 PM »
Have you got any spool nets in your overlocker accessories box?  One of those might keep it under control.  If it was here I think it would have ended up in the bin!
Life's too short for ironing.