The Sewing Place

New project fair isle. Update

Celia

New project fair isle. Update
« on: January 14, 2022, 09:34:17 AM »
This is my newest project, I will not knit the actual pattern as printed as I intend to try to knit the main body of the sweater on my machine and then hand knit the yoke, not tried this before so it is definitely an experiment.

I have ordered the yarn from Jamieson and smith, the other risk factor in wether it works or not is I have ordered the main colour on cone and the others is balls, as the cones are oiled and the balls not, I may need to make some adjustments as I knit.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 11:27:13 AM by Celia »

b15erk

Re: New project fair isle
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 09:38:40 AM »
I love that type of yoke @Celia ,  but the fairisle would defeat me.  I have never completed a fairisle project - although I have tried, I get into a big muddle.

Look forward to seeing this project develop.  :thumb:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 11:21:44 AM »
Oh my! I have knitted some rows of Godzilla  :thumb:
I don't think I can even look at that without coming out in a hot sweat  :o
Looking forward to seeing the results.
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Kenora

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 11:46:31 AM »
That's a beautiful pattern. What a shame we never get weather cold enough in Cornwall to wear it outdoors, let alone inside!  :laughing:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 13:37:53 PM »
Nice pattern.  Reminds me of the Icelandic sweater I knitted years ago…..in Icelandic wool.  Very warm but couldn’t wear it as it was so rough.   :facepalm:

Missie

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 14:38:15 PM »
That is beautiful.  I've earmarked a couple of jumpers like that myself but it would probs take me years to complete.

Celia

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 15:27:28 PM »
That is beautiful.  I've earmarked a couple of jumpers like that myself but it would probs take me years to complete.

Yes not too sure which winter I will be wearing this :loveit:

realale

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 17:01:09 PM »
That's a lovely sweater @Celia and I can only applaud any who have the skills to attempt something like this. I don't have that skill set  0_0. I'll stick with my simple socks  :P
So many beers, so little time.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 19:14:35 PM »
Oooh, looking forward to seeing your progress - what weight of yarn are you using?  Doing the plain parts on a machine will make it so much quicker.

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 20:01:04 PM »
Wow. I love fairisle and this is a lovely version. Very impressed at your abilities. I can sew anything but I've never really got to grips with knitting so I'm always in awe of you peeps who can knit.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Celia

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 20:16:47 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper it is Shetland 2 ply which in fact is a 4ply, the pattern is in this months Knitter magazine but as I am using a machine as well as needles I will have to re write it.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 23:23:15 PM »
I intend to try to knit the main body of the sweater on my machine and then hand knit the yoke, not tried this before so it is definitely an experiment.

I have ordered the yarn from Jamieson and smith, the other risk factor in wether it works or not is I have ordered the main colour on cone and the others is balls, as the cones are oiled and the balls not, I may need to make some adjustments as I knit.

If you can get all the stitches off the machine onto hand knitting needles without loosing any it should definitely work.  The main problem will be getting a matching tension between the machine stocking stitch and the hand knit fairisle.  I don't think you will have too much problem mixing oiled and non-oiled yarns, especially if you make proper swatches  :angel:

I don't have the staying power to knit a whole jumper bit if the plain bits arrived ready knitted I would likely get the fairisle yoke done.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

LeilaMay

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 10:52:41 AM »
Very nice :) Although I'm only a hand-knitter so wold do it all by hand :) I admire your skills to do it part and part.

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2022, 11:28:16 AM »
@Celia I used to do a lot of colour work and intarsia knitting and so as not to get in a muddle had to sit in a space with all the different colours spread out around me.
How do you cope with the multiple yarns?
Life's too short for ironing.

Celia

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2022, 11:36:33 AM »
@BrendaP yes that is my thought, if I can do this it will make a big difference to me as I don’t like knitting big sweaters by hand but I do love knitting Fair Isle by hand.  I first heard of this being done on the Shetland isles it is often the way they make the sweaters they sell.  I might have to adjust the number of stitches at the yoke to match the tension, I have matched machine tensions before but I might have to adjust number of stitches at the yoke.

@Ploshkin you just get used to working with the different colours, I do knit double handed so one colour on one hand and the other in the other hand if you see what I mean.

I hope to get started next week so I will post reports, the first step is getting my machine set up again.