The Sewing Place

New project fair isle. Update

Ploshkin

Re: New project fair isle
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2022, 11:56:44 AM »
I've been smiling to myself since you started this thread @Celia   A very dear friend, who is no longer with us, bought a kit (ready knitted body with the wool and pattern to hand knit the yoke) when on holiday in Scotland.  The suppliers were Skye Crotal Knitwear (Crotal / crottle / chrotail being the lichens used for dyes in the manufacturing process).  She told me that she had had an issue with it.  She had phoned the suppliers and had a lovely chat at the end of which they politely pointed out to her that they were Skye Crotal knitwear not Skye Scrotal Knitwear  :D  I do miss her.
Life's too short for ironing.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2022, 12:18:34 PM »
I'd like this too.  I get so bored with the plain stocking stitch part. 
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

BrendaP

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2022, 14:02:31 PM »
I knit fairisle with one colour over my index finger and one over the middle finger.  True fairisle never has more than two colours in a row/round.  Intarsia is a different matter!  I don't like doing it but it does require a lot more organisation.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Flobear

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2022, 21:29:55 PM »
I was about to comment that there are only three colours there so shouldn't cause too much havoc.

During the recent cold days I have been able to wheel out my warm woolly pulli with the patterned yoke. I enjoyed knitting it and don't mind boring plain bits as I can chug along nicely while wathcing telly.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Celia

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2022, 10:23:40 AM »
Knitting machine now up and running, I hope to get the tension swatch knitted today, I still need to put the ribber up but will wait until that is really needed as it takes up more depth in the room.

While the machine is up I might try to think of something else I might like to knit. :thinking:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2022, 10:25:47 AM »
@Celia I always start with the rib, saves any messing about later.

Celia

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2022, 10:34:09 AM »
 @Bodgeitandscarper        Yes I will start with the rib I just meant I will do the tension swatch today and when it is washed and dry and I have worked out the pattern I will put the ribber on the machine then.

Gernella

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2022, 16:09:30 PM »
All this just sounds like algebra to me.  Actually on my clear-out yesterday I found a small folder with knitting patterns I haven't sent to the charity shop before.  One looks like a cardigan I saw on Landsend and thought I like that but it's too long.  This is just right.

That jumper is fabulous @Celia even normal knitting, it would be well out my ballpark.  I lost the plot with one or more colours before, now :rolleyes:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Diane

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2022, 16:30:58 PM »
@Celia I love the colour of that jumper, i'm not sure i'd be able to knit that  :faints:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2022, 11:59:27 AM »
Have you managed to start this yet?  I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Celia

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2022, 12:56:54 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper i have done the tension swatch but I am not anywhere near matching the tension, I am happy to rewrite the pattern. I need to do a hand knitted swatch of the fairIsle, so that will take some time but I am definitely going ahead.

Celia

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2022, 11:26:54 AM »
After a good start things got a bit more difficult and my enthusiasm seemed to go BUT now I have decide to knit this one first, I am hand knitting it from the top down and might or might not machine knit the boring bit. The difference is this one is knitted in DK Drops Lima and the other is a fine Shetland,
If this one works out ok I will feel more confident in doing the other one.

So far I have cast on and knitted the rib plus just started the Fair isle so let’s see, I am still knitting my socks as sometimes one needs something simpler to work on.

Ohsewsimple

Re: New project fair isle. Update
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2022, 12:11:33 PM »
That’s a fun design @Celia.  Wasn’t expecting to see that when I zoomed in.  :)

Flobear

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2022, 12:47:09 PM »
Oooh, sheeps! Perfect for a Forest of Dean woolly pulli.
I will be bookmarking that for when the new Strictly Come Knitting season starts.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ouryve

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2022, 18:36:22 PM »
I do love the sheep yoke.

IIRC, there are other items with the same motif, including some for kids.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"