The Sewing Place

Emilie turtleneck to try out new overlocker

bec

Emilie turtleneck to try out new overlocker
« on: January 14, 2022, 11:10:30 AM »
Hello everyone, long time lurker this side of the forum  :ninja: but think this is my first time posting a make. I've made a few t shirts and button up shirts in the past, and some pjs, but I am still facing new (to me) challenges and learning a lot every time I make a garment.

I picked up this free turtleneck pattern from Jalie a while ago and have recently used it to try out the overlocker I was given for Christmas, using some black cheapo jersey I wasn't too concerned by the concept of ruining through incompetence.

I did manage to accidentally carve a hole into one of the armpits with the lil overlocker knife but it was pretty easily fixed, and apart from having to rethread the whole device twice the assembly was very painless. I think it's a good beginner pattern as all of the sides are straight including the sleeves, which are not only straight at the top but also attached to the body while it's flat so there's no setting in (which I find very fiddly). All in all I'm very pleased with how it came out:

It came out a little bit over sized because I couldn't figure out how to print the pattern so that the 'test square' measured exactly the correct size so after about 4 attempts with different settings I ended up settling for close enough. I might just get the pattern printed and posted next time as it seems like less faff. Any advice you might have on that front (or general overlocker tips for a newbie) would be very gratefully received!

Celia

Re: Emilie turtleneck to try out new overlocker
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 11:40:34 AM »
That looks great, I have also made that top and mine came out much too big but I decided I liked it that way, I am going to make some more soon but will scale back the size a bit especially in a different fabric. 

toileandtrouble

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 12:11:56 PM »
@bec  On my printer, when I do Control P, or Print, I get a print dialogue box.  At the bottom, it says 'more settings', in that menu, one of them is 'scale'.  Default or 100% should give you the right test square.  Just try one page to check it works for you.  Happy sewing!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 12:13:42 PM »
That looks really good! Oversize is always better than undersized. I decided long ago that I wasn't going to spend my life sticking bits of paper together and I always get a proper printed pattern.

Starryfish

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 12:43:28 PM »
I recommend Fabulosew for printing PDFs,  they aren't expensive and are very helpful. If you email them with a query they reply almost instantly.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 12:43:57 PM »
That's great! @bec and thanks so much for posting your make, it is always lovely to see what people are sewing.

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 12:45:49 PM »
Looks good - particularly for a first go! I quite like sticking pattern pages together  -< but it does depend on how many pieces you have & how intricate. For t shirts, joggers etc it's quite easy. Re printing, I always print just the test square page first. For some odd reason I always need to print at 104% to get the square printed at the correct size. Opening the pdf in Adobe gives the option to remove layers, it's so much easier to print just the size plus the ones each size in case grading is needed. Have you looked at Ellie & Mac patterns? There are a few free ones and each week a new selection of cheap ones. These used to be $1 but have now gone to $2. They're very simple, don't have balance marks or dots but mostly go together well. The sizing is American so check your measurements against the pattern although the ones I've used come up big. Their men's t shirt was massive in the body,  made it for my SIL, I cut smaller than the S for the body, the XL for shoulders & it's still too small on his shoulders.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

annieeg

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 12:46:40 PM »
Very nice job @bec
Doesn't look at all home-made  :thumb:

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 12:55:21 PM »
Lovely job @bec !   <3

Your overlocker will tame you soon enough!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 12:56:54 PM »
Well done @bec, looks good. 
Well you’ve already managed to do what everybody does when they get an overlocker……cut a hole in what you’re making.  But underarm is a good place.  Soooooo much better than down the front.  :rolleyes:

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 13:11:53 PM »
It looks  good @bec well done   :thumb:
Still learning

Celia

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 13:20:09 PM »
Well done @bec, looks good. 
Well you’ve already managed to do what everybody does when they get an overlocker……cut a hole in what you’re making.  But underarm is a good place.  Soooooo much better than down the front.  :rolleyes:

I remember slicing a slit out of the side of a skirt….. I think most of us have done it.  Looking for to seeing your next make, I love Jalie pattern for tops etc and stylearc for trousers, it’s just what fits me best.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 13:32:27 PM »
Looks great!  I bet you love your overlocker, I think mine gets used more than my sewing machine.

bec

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 14:42:32 PM »
Thanks for all the lovely comments, everyone.  :)

I'll try and put the printing advice into practice next time around - maybe I had less options because I was trying to print from my phone and I'll have better luck finding something to do with scaling from the laptop.

@Lachica no I haven't heard about Ellie & Mac patterns before, I'll go and have a browse, thanks!

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2022, 20:55:26 PM »
It looks great on you.  Well done.
Life's too short for ironing.