The Sewing Place

So, I need an overlocker...

Mick

So, I need an overlocker...
« on: December 29, 2021, 23:08:45 PM »
No, really I need an overlocker.

Ok, I want and overlocker.

Thanks to the helpful advice from the people on this here forum, I managed to swerve the dubious  Lidl, Aldi etc. machines and decided on one of these.

Obviously, they are available on-line, but it turned out that there is a genuine, bricks-and-mortar sewing machine shop just a few miles away from where I live. And they have them in stock, for exactly the same price as the online suppliers.

Went to the shop and the conversation went like this...

Really Nice Person In The Shop. "Is it for yourself, a gift for someone?"

Me "It's for me"

RNPINTS "Used an overlocker before?"

Me "No, not really"

RNPITNS "Are you OK with it just in the box, then?"

Me "Sorry...just in the box?"

RNPITS "I'll unpack it for you, and run through how to use it."

Me (Very short of time) "Err, I think I'll be alright, probably..."

RNPITS "OK then, if you're sure. There's an instruction DVD in the box, and some really good tutorials on YouTube. But if you're struggling with anything, just call in and we'll help you out. I've registered the warranty for you. Enjoy your sewing."

Bearing in mind that this was the cheapest, most basic machine in the place, this level of service is definitely worth going out for, and better than just pressing the button on Amazon.

Ploshkin

Re: So, I need an overlocker...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 09:08:36 AM »
I don't know about your shop but the man who has the tiny shop from which I got my overlocker, coverlock and main machine will service and repair machines that he has sold.  That is a huge bonus and anyway I trust his recommendations and have never had a dud ( he could sell ice to eskimos though  :) )

That looks a nice little machine, I'm sure you will get on well with it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 09:25:04 AM »
Sounds a lovely place @Mick . I am in the market soonish for a new Pfaff and, sadly, the chap I discovered since I moved here has recently retired. I wish @Ploshkin's chap wasn't 100 miles away.

Anyway, have fun with your overlocker  :thumb:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 09:31:27 AM »
Ooh, exciting!  Have fun!

And Name That Shop... we need to know where to get such good service.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 10:28:23 AM »
@Mick a place worth using!
Enjoy!

Mick

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 21:55:55 PM »
I don't know about your shop but the man who has the tiny shop from which I got my overlocker, coverlock and main machine will service and repair machines that he has sold.

Yes, it turns out that this place does servicing and repairs, does classes and training, as well as selling spares, bits, bobs, and notions.

Strangest of all is that the shop is six miles from my front door, and I didn't know it even existed until I did a search for that particular machine and Google pointed me at the place.