The Sewing Place

Bobbin thread for soft furnishing

Stitchalot

Bobbin thread for soft furnishing
« on: January 11, 2022, 20:17:50 PM »
My son has persuaded me to make him some piped seat cushions for a bench. I think I’m happy about the construction side of it. Just wondering if others with experience could advise on what to use in the bobbin on a domestic machine? It seems to me that the stitching will only be as strong as the weakest thread and I can’t put upholstery type thread in the bobbin. I’m wondering about nylon? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

BrendaP

Re: Bobbin thread for soft furnishing
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 20:35:45 PM »
The box cusions I made a couple of days ago
https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,13959.0.html
have piping and the fabric is a very heavy upholstery fabric.  I just used bog standard Guetermann SewAll in bobbin and in the needle.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 20:46:52 PM »
I also use Gutermann sew-all in both needle and bobbin for piped bench cushions. It's never occurred to me to use anything else :D

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 21:10:18 PM »
If ypu are concerned about SewAll not being strong enough you could use Jeans or TopStitch, but it might mean altering the bottom tension which is not recommended unless you really know what you are doing!  If your machine has a separate bobbin case you could try keeping one for regular threads and don't mess wth it, and one which you play around with for thicker threads.  If your machine has a drop-in bobbin you don't have that option.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 09:20:06 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 21:26:05 PM »
I have a Husqvarna machine which takes drop-in bobbins and have a speciality bobbin case for it. It has an adjustable tension screw for speciality threads and a bypass slot for heavier threads, yarns and cords. The standard case is black and the speciality case is grey so it is easy to tell them apart. I think they are also available for some Pfaff and Janome machines.

Stitchalot

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 21:41:24 PM »
Thanks everyone. I do have a separate bobbin case on my Bernina, but would be hesitant to mess with it! My main concern (maybe unfounded) is the stitching breaking as the cushions are sat on. I think I will just use Gutermann and if I’m still worried I could always stitch twice.

Bill

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 23:47:38 PM »
I'm a bit late to this...have you considered gutermann extra strong thread? It's a little thicker than the sew all but thinner than the denim/jeans thread. It's pretty tough stuff.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 14:37:53 PM »
But you can’t put extra strong thread in the bobbin unfortunately unless the bobbin case is set for it. 

Sewbusy

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 10:32:43 AM »
I made loose covers and piped zipped cushions for a two and three seater settee. I used ordinary sewing thread throughoutand despite them being so pale in colour necessitating very frequent washing, after 11 years good use all seams and zips remained intact.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 11:00:51 AM »
I also used normal thread for cushions (seat and back) for BFF's rocking chair over five years ago and that is still holding together after frequent washing
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Stitchalot

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 13:21:51 PM »
@Sewbusy Thats good to know - thank you. What a fantastic job you did. Hope mine turn out half as well!