The Sewing Place

Origami bias tape

Vezelay

Origami bias tape
« on: January 30, 2022, 19:47:12 PM »
I haven't often had call to make my own woven bias tape, and the few times that I did all that geometric cutting and joining ends at odd angles put me off repeating the exercise. But I remembered seeing a way of avoiding the faff and decided to track it down. Now for all I know, everyone here except me might already use this method, but in case there are one or two of you who don't and would find it useful...

So I've just made 94 inches of continuous 2" bias tape (1/2" when folded) from a 14 1/2" fabric square, with just two 10" seams. I then used my cheapo Ebay bias tape maker set to fold it.  All very quick and easy. From a FQ I could make nearly 5m of tape.

Here's the method: https://makeit-loveit.com/make-continouos-strip-bias-tape-binding. It works too :). I've seen a variation on YT so maybe there are a few out there.

Acorn

Re: Origami bias tape
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 21:19:33 PM »
Magic!  Or... possibly... witchcraft...  :ninja:

Seriously, that's amazing!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 21:44:30 PM »
Never done it this way.  I’ve looked at several lots of instructions and thought ‘what the heck?'   Can’t be bothered to spend the time working it out.  See, here is where I need a video. 

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 21:55:25 PM »
I made metres of the stuff for piping the boat cushions. It's a good method for large quantities.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 10:42:17 AM »
Sorry but I cant be doing with all the adverts top and bottom of the screen leaving just a teensy window to see how she makes it ... So Its a No from me!

Isnt it lovely that TSP is Ad free?????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 10:47:23 AM »
It certainly is - although I have an ad blocker, so I don't get any adverts with the demo, thank goodness!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 10:53:56 AM »
Sorry but I cant be doing with all the adverts top and bottom of the screen

I'm not seeing any ads on this site @Iminei  - Acorn's right, look into AdBlockers.

We have AdBlocker Ultimate on our laptop browser (Firefox) and AdGuard AdBlocker on the phones. They weed out most ads for us.  We don't use Windows so I'm not sure if these are right for that but it's definitely worth looking into (or asking someone techie).
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 12:19:39 PM »
Used the reader view on my iPad.  I’ve now saved this and I must have a go sometime