The Sewing Place

Funny Faces BOM

Sheilago

Re: Funny Faces BOM
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2022, 11:21:17 AM »
Love those @Sandra ! I’ve never tried raw edge appliqué, but often wonder if it would wear just as well.I look forward to seeing all the funny faces.

Greybird

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2022, 11:26:16 AM »
Looking forward to seeing more @Sandra . I have used raw edge applique quite a lot on cushion covers. I find the herringbone stitch to be best for it (I use mainly cotton and linen) and even in regular use it keeps the edges under control.

Sandra

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2022, 10:10:04 AM »
I've now done the freebie Spooky Cat face - (clearly a release for Halloween.)

I've also bought some fabric for the main colour outside of the Polaroid frames. A nice red...or so I thought.
It's a lovely colour and it's not as bright and brash a red as it looked on the screen when I was buying it. I'm pleased it's not as bright as I thought it might be.  :) The faces are going to bright enough and I hoped this would be suitable.

But now I've cut some strips to frame the faces I don't like it as much as I'd hoped. It's not bright enough.  :S

I can't afford to buy yards and yards of fabrics on a whim though until I find one that's just right, so I might have to learn to like it.
Does it really matter? Who cares? Who am I making it for?
I'm enjoying myself doing these so I don't think I'm going to worry about it.

It'll probably look a bit better when it's attached properly, pressed properly and squared up.

Sandra.
xxx

Celia

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2022, 10:56:51 AM »
They look great, I am still tempted to do a cushion with one of these, what stitch did you do around the edge @Sandra.
I think the red outside will be fine when you have all the other colours there too

Sandra

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2022, 11:22:14 AM »
@Celia I did a straight stitch (as instructed on Shiny Happy) which I'm sure I'll regret in the future if this gets finished and has any sort of use.
It's clearly (surely) not going to wash and wear very well, as mentioned by Sheilago a few posts ago.

I like the simplicity of the straight stitch in the black. It's like the drawn outline of cartoon images. I don't have a blanket stitch on my machine otherwise I'd probably use that and I don't want to use a zig zag.

Sandra.
xxx

Celia

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2022, 11:38:52 AM »
It looks fine @Sandra thank you for telling me, I think if I do it I will probably do a straight stitch as it is only going to be a cushion and I agree I like the look.

mudcat

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2022, 20:19:36 PM »
I'm a little sad we'll have to wait a year before you'll be able to put this all together. It's going to be so fun.  I really like all your squares. 

Ploshkin

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2022, 22:05:16 PM »
I think the cat is sweet and smiley, not spooky at all.
If you're not over keen on the red you could use a mix of bright colours for the frames.  It could look good in the 3 primaries.
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2022, 11:42:20 AM »
It's probably too late now but if you had a sample of the right shade of red, you could send it to one of the obliging retailers - Doughty's and Midsomer Quilting spring to mind though there are bound to be others - and ask them to match it up for you. I had awful trouble when I had to buy a red from seeing it on screen and ended up getting three different ones!

Having said that, I think it looks just right on my screen which is a Mac retina screen so not too shabby as far as representing colours goes.

I also like Ploshkin's idea of using the primary colours.

And I think the cat is beautiful  :meow:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2022, 13:07:34 PM »
I am in love with that cat  <3
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Sandra

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2022, 14:44:30 PM »
@Bumblebuncher and @Flobear The cat's a free pattern available on the Shiny Happy website if you fancied doing your own.  :thumb:

The red's just roughly pinned for now. I've been giving the blocks a glance as I pass by and I still haven't warmed to the red fabric yet.

I also like Ploshkin's idea.  :thinking:
Primaries...? or even just go mad and use an assortment. That'll use up some of the stash.  0_0

Sandra.
xxx

Celia

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2022, 15:55:45 PM »
I have just spent an hour trying to print this a pattern, my printer is the problem not the pattern, then another hour trying to find suitable fabric……….

Right now I am going to give up sewing forever  :rant: I have cupboards full of fabrics but nothing suitable   I am going back to knitting or maybe even weaving   

:boohoo:  Stomp off to find tea and cake

Flobear

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2022, 16:36:09 PM »
Oh Celia  :hug:

I've been thwarted (took me 3 goes to get that right and I'm an ace speller usually) at every turn lately. I won't post the list of what hasn't happened because... as it would be too depressing.
However, bumping along the bottom means things can only get better!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Sandra

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2022, 19:13:05 PM »
It's the first day of a new month and the new block has been released....

A tiger! Appropriately in time for the Chinese Year of the tiger.  :)

Sandra.
xxx

Silver Rose

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2022, 19:23:24 PM »
He's lovely, a proper Tigger.
Still learning