The Sewing Place

Funny Faces BOM

Sandra

Funny Faces BOM
« on: January 16, 2022, 12:11:05 PM »
With (too much?  -< ) spare time on my hands, I've signed up to a Block of the Month club called Funny Faces, from Shiny Happy World. I think it cost £3.05 and I don't think that's too bad per month. I can manage spending that.

I keep seeing a few of these brightly coloured quilts on Pinterest and I like them, especially the Monsters one.
Aimed at children mainly but who's to say when you're too old to enjoy brightly coloured daft things.  ;)

They're really simple raw edge appliqué...(OMG, I've just done my first ééé!  :dance: Thank you to whoever told us about that little trick.)

I've got heaps of fabric which ought to be perfect for this sort of thing. Made a start yesterday on a cockatiel.
Really happy with this one.  :)

I'm going to lay them out in a 'Polaroid' frame-type layout, that's why it's wonky. I don't have the background fabric yet for outside of the frame area.
The block itself is 10 inch finished size but with my polaroid frame setting it's going to be 17 inches finished.

They'll release a new face on the first of the month, and I was still just in time to access last months skunk, so I've done that one this morning.
Not quite so happy with this one. Toyed with the idea of using some red and white fabrics but felt the 'skunk' was going to be lost without the identifying black and white colours. There were some samples shown in pretty colours but they looked (to me anyway) like teddy bear faces with squirrel tails.  ><

I think, (but maybe I'll change my mind as I go along), I'm going to try to be believable and realistic with the colours used, where I can. If there are any monster faces I'll be able to do as I please.  0_0

I'll try to remember to show you the other ones as and when they're released.  :)

Sandra.
xxx

realale

Re: Funny Faces BOM
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 12:38:17 PM »
That looks an interesting project to do and I like the two you've already done, although the cockatiel is my favourite so far!  :thumb:
So many beers, so little time.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 13:16:05 PM »
@Sandra i really like your skunk.  If the other Shiny Happy World quilts I’ve seen are anything to go by, this quilt will be in glorious technicolour so a slightly muted skunk will give the eye a rest.

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 13:48:59 PM »
@Sandra , that looks fun and I love both your animals so far. Cockatiel is slight favourite because I'm a parroty person.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Cazlyn

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 15:04:57 PM »
They look great @Sandra
Crafting is my happy place

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 15:50:06 PM »
They're brilliant.  What is it about the skunk that you're not happy with?  @Sandra
Life's too short for ironing.

Sandra

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 16:10:02 PM »
They're brilliant.  What is it about the skunk that you're not happy with?  @Sandra

It doesn't look too bad does it?

I don't have much dark/black fabric with a bit of texture and I think I over thought how I was going to do it. I went through my stash several times to look for something which was just right.
After finding the multi fabrics to use on the cockatiel it seemed a bit of a let down only needing two different colours for the skunk.
And black and white are a bit  :\ It seemed a bit flat in comparison.

I'm looking forward to what I'll get next month.  :)

Sandra.
xxx

Celia

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 16:35:40 PM »
Love these they look like fun, just what we need at the moment

Diane

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 16:43:58 PM »
@Sandra I love the cockatiel, like everyone says, a cheery block
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 17:32:12 PM »
@Sandra I don't know how he looks in the flesh but the skunk's facial features don't stand out on a screen.  Perhaps they could be made a stronger feature especially the eyes.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sandra

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 17:54:15 PM »
@Sandra I don't know how he looks in the flesh but the skunk's facial features don't stand out on a screen.  Perhaps they could be made a stronger feature especially the eyes.

That was part of the problem using dark fabric and using black for the eyes.
I wondered whether to try to put a glint in the eyes to see if it would make them stand out more but I'll leave it as it is for now and see what other characters I'll be making. It's early days yet.

Sandra.
xxx

SunnyWave

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 02:11:31 AM »
That looks very interesting, and a lot of fun. Bright quilts are lovely!

mudcat

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 04:05:22 AM »
What a fun quilt this will be. The skunk is adorable.

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 06:46:26 AM »
Oh Wow! I think both of them are gorgeous but I see what you mean about Pepé (le Phew)

Maybe rhinestones for the eyes? Or a different colour ... Orange? Yellow? Green?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2022, 09:05:53 AM »
@Sandra i have just spent a lovely time looking at that site, I think I used one of her embroidery designs years ago but haven’t looked recently, her designs are lovely and such fun.

for anyone interested there are lot of free designs and ideas, I love this one https://www.shinyhappyworld.com/2018/05/make-a-wall-hanging-add-a-wonky-churn-dash-frame-to-your-favorite-quilt-block.html. @Diane  I think you might like some of these too.

I am tempted to try an easy block and make it into a cushion to go on my bed, so I am going back later to have a better look.