The Sewing Place

What size buttonholes?

sewmuchmore

What size buttonholes?
« on: January 17, 2022, 14:27:08 PM »
OK, so the Newcastle cardy just needs buttons and HE has decided that he wants toggles   :S
The question is how do you work out how big to make the buttonholes? I have never used a toggle with a button hole before. these are the offending items. As you can see they are 50mm long, is that how long the button hole should be or would you make it the same as the diameter.
Help.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Lachica

Re: What size buttonholes?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 14:29:34 PM »
Make it a big bigger than the toggle diameter.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 15:14:07 PM »
Yes, needs to be shorter than the length because you push them through end first.

Stitchalot

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 17:33:39 PM »
As @Greybird says, they go in almost end ways (but not quite, once they are sewn on). What I have done in the past is hold a loop of tape in one hand and adjust it to get toggle to go through comfortably. Half the length of the loop is about the length of the buttonhole. Suggest you then try one on spare fabric of same thickness before committing. Make sure your toggle is also sewn to fabric to simulate the angle it will go in.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 17:43:29 PM by Stitchalot »

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 18:48:40 PM »
I've usually seen instructions for using loops with toggles,  no button holes involved.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 09:23:17 AM »
I've usually seen instructions for using loops with toggles,  no button holes involved.
Yes, i have done loops many times but on coats and jackets, this is a cardy and not sure the loops will look right, i will try both methods on spare fabric and see which HE wants.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet