The Sewing Place

Large Men's Tailor Form for bodybuilder

novice husband

Large Men's Tailor Form for bodybuilder
« on: January 17, 2022, 18:11:06 PM »
Hi all.  Am new as I was trying to find a birthday present for my husband.  Wanted to give him a tailors dummy for himself.  He started making clothes during lockdown and hate to say it but is quite good.  He makes trousers, shirts and has attempted a jacket.  All this by trial and error - lots of trying on and me giving an opinion.  Not the best way to do it (especially if my opinion is not favourable!!!!)

So have been looking on the internet but have come to a halt.  My husband is a gym rat.  In that he is quite big and I cant seem to find an adjustable form for his size.  He will need at least 44 - 52 inch chest.  Anyone recommend one for me.

I appreciate you all.  Thanks.

Iminei

Re: Large Men's Tailor Form for bodybuilder
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 13:15:09 PM »
Good luck with that @novice husband  ... Ive only ever seen Female forms ....

I know a lot of our girls 'pad' their forms to their size, maybe you could try that with a female form ... give it a radical sex change????

A quick google shows these ARE available ...

but whether in the size you desire ???

Good hunting
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 13:25:31 PM »
@novice husband If you are willing to help out (which you obviously are) there is always the option of 'making' a dummy to his size with duct tape.
Make your own dummy
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 13:55:25 PM »
Or you could give him a dummy to your measurements!!   :laughing:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 16:30:55 PM »
These won't be cheap but they go up to the size you want:

https://www.kennettlindsell.com/product-category/mannequins/?filters=form-type[260]

realale

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 23:31:33 PM »
Have a look at Morplan. They have a range of men's dummies from more basic ones to the articulated type.
So many beers, so little time.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 23:42:27 PM »
Or you could give him a dummy to your measurements!!   :laughing:

Many, many years ago when Adult Education ran lots of sewing/dressmaking classes there were a lot of dummies around in the sewing room and some of the ladies got better results by padding out a male dummy.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 05:29:13 AM »
Kennet Linsell have a clearance page too ... but HOW much ???? :faints:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 11:55:33 AM »
Kennet Linsell have a clearance page too ... but HOW much ???? :faints:

But they are nice @Iminei.   :)   They have some weight behind them so ideal for draping, designing and pinning into.  You can’t do that so well with a flimsy one.

SewCanDad

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2022, 15:26:46 PM »
I come across the Dritz Mr. Tailor dress form?

SewCanDad

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2022, 14:38:52 PM »
Well, I've just ordered the Mr. Tailor from Dritz. Options for these are minimal to say the least unless you want to spend big bucks (which just isn't happening here). Bad enough trying to justify the cost of the Dritz to myself  :laugh: Apparently, shoulder pads are a great pad way to pad out a dress form if need be?