The Sewing Place

Polo shirt alterations?

Surest1tch

Polo shirt alterations?
« on: January 17, 2022, 19:49:16 PM »
DH has lost 4 stones in weight and has about 12 branded polo shirts He want's me to take in for him. They are too good (& expensive) to donate to a charity shop and there'd be no chance of me trying that one. I'm quite cautious about altering sports wear has anyone tried anything like this? Give me a tailored suit, dress, shirt or anything on similar lines and I wouldn't have a problem but sports wear  :thinking:.
Any help would be really appreciated

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Polo shirt alterations?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 20:52:40 PM »
Gosh, that's going to keep you busy doing 12 of them!
I'd definitely be using the overlocker.  Are they too wide on the shoulders now?  You may well have to take the sleeves out to narrow the whole front and back pieces.

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 21:46:10 PM »
Thanks @Bodgeitandscarper:scream: :scream: :scream:
I've barely been in the sewing room for over a year and now with loosing my dog I really don't feel I want to be in there because he was always in there with me, not only that the chances are DH will put some weight back on once he's bored with this blooming exercise lark he's doing now.

Vezelay

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 21:57:45 PM »
I think are a few whiz alterations experts on the forum. Sadly I'm not one but I have done similar alterations to charity shop shirts before now. Forget 12, just start with one, see how it goes. Easiest is have him put it on inside out and pin/mark the fit he wants. If it's very oversized you can do what Bodge suggests. To be on the safe side you could sew any seams before you overlock. See it as a challenge

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 23:02:44 PM »
Bodge's suggestion is probably the easiest way to do it. Just start with the oldest one or the one he likes least to see if it's worthwhile.

Sandra

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 08:17:20 AM »
Yes, I've done this alteration from time to time.  :\ Not a job I enjoy.

I've never needed to take a huge amount out though and I don't ever remember needing to mess about with narrowing across the shoulders.
I hate it when there's that annoying little side split at the hem to put back with a separate little strip of binding to re-attach.  :S

I've always simply stitched straight up the side seams, through the underarm and I try to run off to nothing at the sleeve hem.

Good idea to try on an older, least favourite one to start with if you're not sure about getting involved.

Sandra.
xxx

Flobear

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 09:20:20 AM »
If he's likely at some stage to give up the exercise and need bigger shirts again then definitely don't even think about doing all 112. Eperiment with onw then take you rtime about doing the second one and maybe think about doing a third ...
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 11:01:05 AM »
Definitely use the overlocker.; and do it the way @Sandra suggested.

Try temporary basting first and have him try it on before you commit to the overlocking.  If you do need to take a bit out of the shoulder/top of sleeves it won't be much and the stretch of the fabric should be enough to deal with any easing that needs to be done.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 20:36:08 PM »
Thank you everyone, I'm going to use the ideas you've given me. I'm not too happy thinking about the sleeve heads though some of them have tape stripes running from the neck right down to the sleeve cuffs but I'll do what you say and try it on 1 of the older ones..........one day

Flobear

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 14:56:54 PM »
Blimey! I must have been half asleep when I posted yesterday - 112 shirts and a crop of typos  :facepalm:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!