The Sewing Place

Overlocker home

Celia

Overlocker home
« on: January 19, 2022, 10:30:37 AM »
As some of you know I am experimenting with sewing downstairs, if this works I might need to consider bringing my overlocker down but I am wondering how I could house it in my room.

I have a sort of sideboard that I am happy to get rid of and thought something like a horn cabinet but I don’t think it will fit, I would like to be able to put it out of sight but that may not be possible as it is very heavy and I find it difficult to lift.

It is a very large overlocker it’s a Babylock Gloria, I don’t really want to get a smaller one as it is really good

Any ideas anyone

Acorn

Re: Overlocker home
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 10:32:47 AM »
A taller cupboard would be good, as it will be much easier to move it if you're transferring it from the table to a shelf at the same height.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 12:14:09 PM »
Definitely keep that @Celia.  I agree with @Acorn about having storage at a sensible height. 
I’m sick of trying to get things out of cupboards in my kitchen! :(

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 16:15:03 PM »
If you can find somewhere permanent that you can sit at it and get your knees underneath (table not sideboard) then make a nice drop over cover from furnishing fabric to suit the room and it will be there when you want to use it but unobtrusive when not in use.  Stiffen it with heavy bag making interfacing.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 16:05:22 PM »
I've got bags for both my overlocker and coverstitch @Celia it makes them much easier to move downstairs if need be and you have some handles easier to hold.  If they are in bags you don't have to lift them onto a shelf just push in a corner (hide) out of the way until you want them.  At the moment my coverstitch is still out but I've put the bag on top and zipped the sides up so kitty paws don't decide to play.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Celia

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 16:53:58 PM »
@Gernella yes I have done that with my older Overlockers but the Gloria is a really big girl

This is the bag and the price is £375 so I think I might pass, mine lives under a brushed cotton sheet.

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 19:02:20 PM »
@Gernella

This is the bag and the price is £375 so I think I might pass, mine lives under a brushed cotton sheet.
  Oh Gloria @Celia  :o
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included