The Sewing Place

Free arm machine help please

Bodgeitandscarper

Free arm machine help please
« on: January 19, 2022, 11:31:09 AM »
I may be wanting the impossible, but here goes anyway  0_0

I'm wondering if there is a machine (at a sensible price if possible) that is a free arm with hardly any "arm" to the left of the needle if you see what I mean.  I think it would be really useful for sewing bags etc.

I did spot an old Singer 320k (which looks gorgeous too) but it's still got about an inch and a half of arm on the left, and ones I've seen are around £500, so probably too much for something that will only be used occasionally.

I've also seen industrial types, but I can't spend that sort of money!

Anyone got any ideas please?  Or am I asking the impossible?

Ohsewsimple

Re: Free arm machine help please
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 12:23:15 PM »
How much length are you looking for?   Just wondering if what you’re after is a possibility in an ordinary machine because of the bobbin?   

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 13:03:23 PM »
As little as possible arm to the left of the needle!  The Singer I saw had the bobbin front loaded which perhaps saves a bit of space.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 18:23:47 PM »
I can’t think of any machines I’ve seen with very small lengths apart from the very old ones.  Machines used in shoe making and those like Susie on Repair Shop uses. 
Is it small bags you have problems with?   Make bigger ones? :laughing:

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 18:41:28 PM »
Are any of your toy machines good enough stitchers?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 19:15:48 PM »
I did think about my toy machines, but they won't stitch well enough.

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 21:58:05 PM »
I immediately thought of the old 'patcher' sewing machines I think they were good for shoe making.
Willing but not always able :)

sewmuchmore

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 09:31:48 AM »
What about Elna, i seem to think they only have a small amount of space to the left. here is one on eBay
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Sewbusy

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 10:49:56 AM »
My Bernina 830 Record has the shortest distance of any of my machines and yes it's a front loading bobbin it's about 4.4mm with needle in centre position,. Could lessen that slightly moving needle position.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 11:16:42 AM »
@Sewbusy, thank you for measuring, I've just been looking at the Berninas on ebay and was about to ask if any had one they could measure  :)
However, it's still not quite what i want, I was hoping there might be something out there that's only got about 1cm or less to the left of the needle, but it's not looking like there is.

@Lilian I'm just off to google "patcher" sewing machines...

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 11:27:33 AM »
For this price, can I go wrong?

Linky

KayK

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 12:03:02 PM »
Looks like it's worth a go!  I was thinking of the Singer Featherweights that have a free arm, but they are exorbitant, that's if you can find one!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Lilian

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 12:24:40 PM »
For this price, can I go wrong?

Linky

It is a hand crank, would you be able to hold the fabric with your left hand :thinking:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 12:58:30 PM »
@Lilian well, we always used to didn't we?  I've ordered it, so will see when it arrives (in about a week I think).

Lilian

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 13:10:34 PM »
I was thinking more on the lines that there is nowhere to support the excess fabric. Unless it sits on a table but it looks quite tall.